What about South Padre Island Texas

The kids and I love building sand castles - they give private lessons right on the beach there - I am really considering a trip there perhaps in 2013. Anyone ever been?

I live just alittle north of there...what would you like to know about the area? South Padre is real close to Mexico, but its not safe to go over the border right now. There are alot of shops and hotels right on the beach, great fishing, parasailing, jet bikes etc. I'm not sure about the campgrounds, I'll check them out. At Spring Break, its full of college kids...you don't want to be there at that time. I live outside of Port Aransas which is on Padre Island..but the north end.

It looks beautiful - any information you may have on campgrounds would be helpful.

I'll start checking into them. Our coastline is not heavily developed like Florida so don't expect alot of traffic or as many camping options. You can camp on the beach here, but it is always pretty windy and there won't be any shade. There would also be random people walking by your camper also. I know on our end of the island there are several nice campgrounds (paved, pools, etc.) with boardwalks over the dunes to the beach . I'll check to see what is available in South Padre. One thing you would want to be careful of in South Padre is where exactly the campground is located. There are 100's of campgrounds in the area because we get alot of winter texans every year. The campgrounds that cater to the winter texans are not usually near the beach. Thank you for the compliment on our beaches, our coastline is beautiful, most of it is still pristine (no development). You will see all types of birds , dolphin and assorted other wild animals. You might even find a nest of baby Ridley Sea Turtles.

Also, there is a Schlitterban (water park) on South Padre. If during your trip, you want to go over the border, please let me tell you a safe place to cross.

Karen

I'd like to drive down to South Padre but it is almost 10 hours from where I am in the DFW area. Much to long for even a 3 day weekend. Perhaps vacation in the next year or two??

And ditto about staying away during spring break. I hear it's a mad house with all the college kids sowing their wild oats.