Applique with an Embroidery Machine

Has anyone done applique (letters) with their embroidery machine? I'm trying to salvage a baby blanket I messed up and I think I could cover the mistake with an applique letter. The only problem, I've never done applique before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Singer Futura and I bought the extra software but it's Futura specific. The digitizing package is called Autopunch and it will digitize clip art or anything I can draw or trace. But again, its not as fancy or in depth as some of the commercial programs. Up until now, I have been happy with everything its turned out...it might do more, but I"m not familiar enough with the terminology used in the program. I pretty much just point and click. Have you ever used any of the applique fonts from Five Star Fonts? I'm wondering if I should go that way for my first encounter with applique. Hopefully it would come with instructions.

Mine is all Husqvarna, it almost drove me to drink when I first started using it, but the stuff I can do with it is amazing. I have only ever done my own design applique so I'm not much help there. I would think if you can download the letter you want to use you should not have a problem digitizing it. Practice with some scraps first and see how it comes out, you can always go with plan B if it doesn't turn out :banana:

Mine is all Husqvarna, it almost drove me to drink when I first started using it, but the stuff I can do with it is amazing. I have only ever done my own design applique so I'm not much help there. I would think if you can download the letter you want to use you should not have a problem digitizing it. Practice with some scraps first and see how it comes out, you can always go with plan B if it doesn't turn out :banana:

Good advice...I'll keep you posted. I got behind in making my baby gifts, so, I got in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the nap and pile in the blankets I ordered. The pile was deeper and even using toppers, etc. my embroidery just sank down. I should have used a fatter font instead of just a pretty one. Oh well, live and learn, if I can salvage it...great..but if I can't, I still have a second blanket. The other baby isn't due until September so I still have time to order more blankets. I have the most fun making baby things, I don't know what I'm going to do when I don't have any more babies to sew for.

Good advice...I'll keep you posted. I got behind in making my baby gifts, so, I got in a hurry and didn't pay attention to the nap and pile in the blankets I ordered. The pile was deeper and even using toppers, etc. my embroidery just sank down. I should have used a fatter font instead of just a pretty one. Oh well, live and learn, if I can salvage it...great..but if I can't, I still have a second blanket. The other baby isn't due until September so I still have time to order more blankets. I have the most fun making baby things, I don't know what I'm going to do when I don't have any more babies to sew for.

When I do a project with a deep pile I use about 3 layers of the top stabilizer. That stuff is expensive but it seems to work for me that way :banana:

When I do a project with a deep pile I use about 3 layers of the top stabilizer. That stuff is expensive but it seems to work for me that way :banana:

I never even thought to add more to the top. I just put my one little layer...which didn't work. I've got a couple of more blankets to do, so I'm going to try 3 layers on the next one. Thanks for the help. I always get so many good ideas from my embroidery group and this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

don't forget to use water solvy when you are doing towels...if you don't, you will lose lots and lots and lots of needles

(I speak from experience)

I also use it on very delicate baby blankets. It washes out on the first wash, but stabilizes the top when you stitch it. Depending on the shirt I stitch, I use it there too. The more delicate or loopy it is, the more I want to use it.

I'm new at embroidering and I can't tell you how many Tshirts I've went thru so far because of mistakes. I just got a Brother Disney machine and so far I love it! Don't know much about digitizing either...I have thought about getting the software but have never got around to really researching how to do it!

Good luck! Practice makes perfect! :)

I'm new at embroidering and I can't tell you how many Tshirts I've went thru so far because of mistakes. I just got a Brother Disney machine and so far I love it! Don't know much about digitizing either...I have thought about getting the software but have never got around to really researching how to do it!

Good luck! Practice makes perfect! :)

I haven't been doing much embroidery for about a year now ( taking care of elderly parents) and now I'm trying to turn out several baby gifts. Unfortunately, everything I touch seems to turn to sh*t. :-\ I have now messed up a diaper bag and two blankets. I'm in a hurry and making mistakes I haven't made for years. This baby is fixing to get a diaper bag with a mistake on the outside, two burp pads which turned out GREAT!!!(what a surprise) and two blankets with nothing on them. Some days, nothing seems to go right...

I haven't been doing much embroidery for about a year now ( taking care of elderly parents) and now I'm trying to turn out several baby gifts. Unfortunately, everything I touch seems to turn to sh*t. :-\ I have now messed up a diaper bag and two blankets. I'm in a hurry and making mistakes I haven't made for years. This baby is fixing to get a diaper bag with a mistake on the outside, two burp pads which turned out GREAT!!!(what a surprise) and two blankets with nothing on them. Some days, nothing seems to go right...

I forgot about the bath towel (hooded type)...it actually turned out good also...so I guess I"m batting 3 for 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't feel bad. The last huge mistake we made was on line jackets for a black sorority. Each jacket was 200 bucks a piece, that is how much embroidery was on them. I handed them to my husband and he switched the names on the front by accident. So, two of the three jackets were wrong. When she called to complain (she was actually really nice about it), I told her, keep the jackets, we are doing them again. We actually went ahead and patched over (since the embroidery was so small and I would have ruined the jackets) and appliqued a new set of names on the ruined jackets when she sent them back. I think we have made enough mistakes over the 20 years of doing embroidery to buy a car! :rofl2:

Here is a link to the jackets in our album on Facebook

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189988_10150103282191415_93888391414_6654684_2471014_n.jpg