After our last trip to the Fort, it became pretty obvious that our pop-up may not be cutting it any longer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it! I love the "tent" feel and the ease in towing. BUT- it's becoming increasingly more difficult to pop it, pack it, put it down. Then the time it takes away from vacation with the set up and tear down...well, I feel like I need to pad my trip with two extra days. There is one more biggie- no a/c! July in Disney was...well...sticky.

So we are looking for another. Thinking Hybrid (expandable) with a cargo deck. So my first question is:

Does anyone have experience/knowledge with this type of camper?

And my second question is:

What is really the best time of year to buy?

Muchas gracias!

xoxo, Ami

Ami if I hadn't started renting my 5th wheel I was going to get one of these. There are several manufacturers that make these and for some reason Travelstar quit. Not sure if there just wasn't a market or what because all they did was take a model they already had and put the deck on.

My favorite of the makers, btw they still make them is the KZ brand called Coyote Rock Climber. They make several sizes. I saw this one on Ebay. KZ IMO made the best of these if you are using them to haul motorcycles or golf carts . They have the spotlights and a more rugged look. If you guys get serious let me know and I'll keep an eye out. Unless you really want new I'm sure there are some good deals out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-coyote-rockclimber-toyhauler-kz-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27bccceac3QQitemZ170671270595QQptZRVsQ5fCampers

Oh, and btw I DO NOT claim that this is an expert opinion. I'm just going by asking people with these how they like them and they all say I love it and am very happy so I'm just passing that on.

Call Amy at Midwest RV in Dayton OH, not sure what Toy Haulers they are selling but she will give you a great price, be very honest and ships all across the US and CANADA. 937-236-0200. Tell her "GRUMPY" told you to call

Thanks! Ohio is not too far away!

Ami if I hadn't started renting my 5th wheel I was going to get one of these. There are several manufacturers that make these and for some reason Travelstar quit. Not sure if there just wasn't a market or what because all they did was take a model they already had and put the deck on.

My favorite of the makers, btw they still make them is the KZ brand called Coyote Rock Climber. They make several sizes. I saw this one on Ebay. KZ IMO made the best of these if you are using them to haul motorcycles or golf carts . They have the spotlights and a more rugged look. If you guys get serious let me know and I'll keep an eye out. Unless you really want new I'm sure there are some good deals out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-coyote-rockclimber-toyhauler-kz-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27bccceac3QQitemZ170671270595QQptZRVsQ5fCampers

Oh, and btw I DO NOT claim that this is an expert opinion. I'm just going by asking people with these how they like them and they all say I love it and am very happy so I'm just passing that on.

I really like the KZ's too. Only 3 floorplans but they are well thought out. I think your opinion counts as expert!

We didn't have one with a front deck, but we did have a Kodiak 21' hybrid for 5 years and LOVED it!

2 adults, 3 dogs and a good time was had by all.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you! That was one of the first types I came across. It has a sportier look and I like it. The one thing that concerns me is, the new models no longer have the option of a cargo deck. I'm curious why that might be. Kodiak and Starcraft both look like they've discontinued the toy hauler version. Now the only ones I can find with 2011+ toy hauler models are rockport roo and the Kz. We aren't necessarily looking for "new" but it does give a little peace of mind knowing the companies thought continuing those models was a good idea.

Kodiak and Starcraft both look like they've discontinued the toy hauler version. ...

DH's theory is that it all relates to tongue weight and the deck being up front.

With ATVs at approx 700 lbs and GCs at approx 900, figure that most people looking for a hybrid because they want to tow something lighter (i.e., don't have a lot of towing capacity on their vehicle), that means a good chunk of their primary market probably can't handle that much tongue weight towing with the platform loaded.

DH's theory is that it all relates to tongue weight and the deck being up front.

With ATVs at approx 700 lbs and GCs at approx 900, figure that most people looking for a hybrid because they want to tow something lighter (i.e., don't have a lot of towing capacity on their vehicle), that means a good chunk of their primary market probably can't handle that much tongue weight towing with the platform loaded.

Well that makes perfect sense!!! Geez, I feel better now- thanks! That thought never occurred to me since we have a big 'ol suburban that will pull just about anything. I like the hybrids not because of weight but because they have the tent ends! I love the tent feel of my pop up...I'm just tired of popping it up!

:yourock: