Parents of kids with autism

Thanks for sharing. Touches the heart right now. Didn't make it to the end either. We're having so many issues right now with both boys. It's hard to be strong, to be understanding, to be forgiving every day. I am hoping it is the summer break. As much as I love spending time with the kids they need the routine that school brings. I am usually pretty good about keeping a balance in the summer with fun and summer home school, but so much has changed this summer. Praying God will bring some peace and stability here soon!

I watched it .... all of it. I wanted to see how it ended, even though I know it doesn't. My son is now 22 and it's more painful than ever. His peers are off starting their adult lives. Autism (Aspergers) has taken me to some really dark places over the years, it's a cruel disability for parents and children alike.

Our oldest son was in a motorcycle accident in 2007, at age 21, that left him a paraplegic. He has a normal life in comparison to his brother. People see his disability and understand it. He can relate to people on a normal level. Don't get me wrong, his life is very, very difficult, but there are no limits on his education/career/family/social life.

Our Asperger's son also has OCD and bipolar and who knows what else. He doesn't have any health insurance but that doesn't really matter because he wouldn't take meds anyway. I've fought that battle for two decades I know there is no way to win.

Do you other moms feel GUILTY? Like there is something you could have done or not done when you were pregnant? I took my vitamins and no drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc. I feel like I did things right but something still went terribly wrong. Did I let myself to too stressed out? That WAS a very tough year emotionally. Was it something I ate? Some kind of cleaning product I used? Do you other moms try to "figure it out?"

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Thanks for posting the song. It is positive that people are becoming more aware of Autism.

I watched it .... all of it. I wanted to see how it ended, even though I know it doesn't. My son is now 22 and it's more painful than ever. His peers are off starting their adult lives. Autism (Aspergers) has taken me to some really dark places over the years, it's a cruel disability for parents and children alike.

Our oldest son was in a motorcycle accident in 2007, at age 21, that left him a paraplegic. He has a normal life in comparison to his brother. People see his disability and understand it. He can relate to people on a normal level. Don't get me wrong, his life is very, very difficult, but there are no limits on his education/career/family/social life.

Our Asperger's son also has OCD and bipolar and who knows what else. He doesn't have any health insurance but that doesn't really matter because he wouldn't take meds anyway. I've fought that battle for two decades I know there is no way to win.

Do you other moms feel GUILTY? Like there is something you could have done or not done when you were pregnant? I took my vitamins and no drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc. I feel like I did things right but something still went terribly wrong. Did I let myself to too stressed out? That WAS a very tough year emotionally. Was it something I ate? Some kind of cleaning product I used? Do you other moms try to "figure it out?"

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Thanks for posting the song. It is positive that people are becoming more aware of Autism.

I agree with you that Autism Spectrum Disorders seem especially cruel. It is maddening and never ending. You keep waiting for some sort of breakthrough that never comes. It is gut wrenching at times. I know everyone says to focus on his strengths and not his weaknesses, and we do try to do that, but it doesn't take away the heartache of knowing that he is locked up inside his own body and unable to function and interact in a typical way.

Do we feel guilty? You bet we do. I don't think a day has gone by without the thought "Was it something I did? Could I have prevented this somehow?" passing through my mind. I also think that trying to figure it out only adds to the guilt and stress ... as if it isn't stressful enough already. Still I can't help but feel guilty and wonder. I completely understand how you feel.

Do we feel guilty? You bet we do. I don't think a day has gone by without the thought "Was it something I did? Could I have prevented this somehow?" passing through my mind. I also think that trying to figure it out only adds to the guilt and stress ... as if it isn't stressful enough already. Still I can't help but feel guilty and wonder. I completely understand how you feel.

I understand the inclination to look for blame and, not having anywhere logical to direct it, turn it upon yourselves. But that is like questioning God's wisdom in placing your sons into your care. He obviously felt that you had the love, compassion, patience and understanding to raise your sons successfully. And He also knows that your sons, while presenting challenges to you, are completing you in ways that you may not understand yet. Don't waste another minute blaming yourselves, but know that God entrusted you each with one of His special ones, and that He specifically chose this path for your lives. Difficult? Yes...but with wonderful rewards as well! :heart:

I understand the inclination to look for blame and, not having anywhere logical to direct it, turn it upon yourselves. But that is like questioning God's wisdom in placing your sons into your care. He obviously felt that you had the love, compassion, patience and understanding to raise your sons successfully. And He also knows that your sons, while presenting challenges to you, are completing you in ways that you may not understand yet. Don't waste another minute blaming yourselves, but know that God entrusted you each with one of His special ones, and that He specifically chose this path for your lives. Difficult? Yes...but with wonderful rewards as well! :heart:

You are right and I completely agree. But it isn't always easy to put it into practice when he's spinning in circles screaming his brains out or hitting/kicking us repeatedly. While we see BOTH of our children as a blessing from God we don't necessarily believe the disability is from God. We live in a very imperfect fallen world and bad things happen but we lean on Him everyday to see us through. I have to admit that sometimes I feel like jumping up and down and screaming "I don't like my path!" but it is the path we are on and yes it is filled with beautiful rewards. Thanks for the encouragement Dave! :heart: