Our Overnighter at St. George Island Fl.

My DW and I woke up last Saturday morning and decided to take a day trip to Apalachicola Fl.on the coast for a day at the beach and some good Florida Seafood! I suggested that we hitch up the camper and go to St. George Island State Park and see if they had any openings for the night. We packed a bag and a pick-nick basket hitched up and we were gone. We live an hour and a half from the Island witch is not a bad drive for a quick trip. We arrived around lunch time but we were not hungry because we always snack on road trips. We proceeded threw town and headed to the state park. I got out and it felt like it was about 110 in the shade but hey I was at the beach. We talked to the rangers and we were in luck they had several open sights so we checked in and drove the six miles to the camp sights. St. George Island is a beautiful barrier island that helps Protect the Apalachicola Bay area which is a major part of the Florida Eco System. The beaches in the park are undeveloped and some of the most beautiful in the world.Anyway we got set up and got the A/C going now it was time to go explore. We went back to the main land and over to Apalachicola a small fishing village resting on the mouth of a river with the same name. There are a lot of little shops here typical of any area that boast tourism;my personal favorite is a place called the Tin Shed. Its a antique and knickknack shop full of old ship parts and fishing related artifacts.After several hours of shopping we decided to take in a early dinner. When we go to Apalach, we always have to eat at Papa Joes a local favorite out of the tourist district. This place is nothing fancy as you approach it, and it is not much better as you enter and walk threw the bar were well weathered oyster and fishermen talk and recap there day. The seating area is in the back of the place and it has a beautiful view of the river.We first ordered several beers as we looked over the menu. My D/W ordered shrimp and I had oysters and grouper with cheese-grits ALL FRIED like seafood should be. After dinner we headed back to the camper to walk the dog and hit the beach.As we drove through the camp grounds we noticed over half of the people camping around us were in tents. TENTS IT WAS STILL 90 somthing at 6;00! It was now around 7:00 so it had cooled off a bit so we went for a walk on the beach. It was beautiful we sat in the sand and watched the sunset then headed back to camp and called it a day. The next morning we had to get going early so we could get home so I could go to work that night. St. George Island State Park is one of the most beautiful places in Florida and I would highly recommend it to any one going to be in the area. The only thing I did not like was the mosquitoes,they were thick but this can be solved with repellents.

Great little trip report!

I have visited St. George Island briefly just to check things out on a trip further west.

It looks like a great place.

You're lucky that it's so close.

Is the little general store still there?

When we visited, I think there was only one restaurant on the island itself.

But Apalachicola isn't far.

Maybe I need to look into a campsite at the park.

TCD

I'm glad y'all enjoyed your trip to St George Island it is gorgeous. I began my teaching career right there at Brown Elementary in Eastpoint. There used to be a place right there on 98 called Sharon's and then That Place on 98, I think it has changed names again but is still there. It used to be real good. If you come back up highway 65 to Hwy 20 through Sumatra, there is the Coastal Restaurant. It is cheap and fabulous but smack in the middle of nowhere!

There is also a nice campground at St Joseph State Park on Cape San Blas a little further west.

Great little trip report!

I have visited St. George Island briefly just to check things out on a trip further west.

It looks like a great place.

You're lucky that it's so close.

Is the little general store still there?

When we visited, I think there was only one restaurant on the island itself.

But Apalachicola isn't far.

Maybe I need to look into a campsite at the park.

TCD

You should look in to camping here.Sounds like its been awhile since you were there it has really grown in the past few years but the state park is still untouched.Apalachicola is also only about a 30 minute car ride away

I'm glad y'all enjoyed your trip to St George Island it is gorgeous. I began my teaching career right there at Brown Elementary in Eastpoint. There used to be a place right there on 98 called Sharon's and then That Place on 98, I think it has changed names again but is still there. It used to be real good. If you come back up highway 65 to Hwy 20 through Sumatra, there is the Coastal Restaurant. It is cheap and fabulous but smack in the middle of nowhere!

There is also a nice campground at St Joseph State Park on Cape San Blas a little further west.

We have stayed at Cape San Blas many times. I also noticed that That Place On 98 is being remodeled or something.

And Rita forgot to mention that all of those are about an hours drive from us. I wish we had know you were going down there, we might have been able to have a mini-meet somewhere to eat ...

It was a spur of the moment trip. My days off are often broken up and we wanted to see if we could do it and we will be doing more overnight trips there so we should be able to have a meet soon. We will look forward to it