Dreamfinder and Figment - together again!

Excerpted from the Disney Tourist Blog, this is a report from the recent D23 Expo in Anaheim...

The video proceeded for about another 45 seconds before the audio switched from the source video to a human, and the lights came on. Much like the collective gasp discussed above during his performance of “Feed the Birds” at Disneyland, there was a collective gasp from the audience as the lights came on at Destination D.

20110515_0454.jpg

There they were, in the flesh, together again, Dreamfinder and Figment.

At this point, I’m not fully sure what happened. I was like a man possessed. The instant I saw Dreamfinder, I began moving to the front of the room, photographing away as I moved and watched THE reasons I’m a Disney fan in front of me, in person (and dragon) once again.

20110515_0455.jpg

20110515_0456.jpg

20110515_0457.jpg

Sarah later said that, with the way I bolted towards the stage as soon as Dreamfinder and Figment appeared, that was was a little nervous that I might run up there. While I was definitely cognizant-enough of my surroundings not to do that, it was a decidedly visceral experience. It’s a good thing I already had the camera set up for earlier shots, as I don’t think I had the wherewithal to change any settings when photographing Dreamfinder and Figment. It was just a matter of holding the camera up every so often and firing off a series of frames as my tear ducts filled.

20110515_0458.jpg

If this sounds a little melodramatic, it’s not. The term “magic” gets bandied about quite frequently these days when discussing Disney, but mostly in marketing. When Dreamfinder and Figment came out, there was truly magic in the air. The crowd erupted so loudly that I’m sure some people didn’t even hear part of his dialogue or song, and the magic was palpable. I think the moment probably set a Guinness Book of World Records record for “most people to simultaneously cry upon seeing a bearded man and purple dragon.”

20110515_0460.jpg

20110515_0461.jpg

While the cheers continued to flow loudly, Dreamfinder asked Figment, “what are you wearing? We aren’t going to see Captain EO” and, after Figment gazed around in confusion, Dreamfinder proceeded to tell Figment, “These are your fans. They’re the people who buy all the Figment pins and Figment shirts! What? No, I’m not going to sell you on eBay.” Figment, apparently unsatisfied with this reassurance, buried his head into Dreamfinder’s tuxedo. Dreamfinder continued: “This is D23. These are all the official Disney Fans. Although I think a few of the younger ones are surprised you aren’t 8 feet tall.” (HA!) These tongue-in-cheek remarks reminded everyone there of the real characters we all missed in Dreamfinder and Figment. Although Figment still has a pavilion in Epcot, fans of the original pavilion miss the true character–the embodiment and personification of imagination–these characters represented. The stark contrast they represent to the lifeless plastic doll in the pavilion today.

20110515_0462.jpg

20110515_0463.jpg

After making his remarks, Dreamfinder paused before saying, “oh, here’s Richard Sherman, let’s go say hello to him.” The trio interacted briefly before beginning a performance of One Little Spark. Words cannot even begin to describe this performance, but suffice to say, it was an emotional one for everyone in the crowd. In lieu of my adequate words, any Dreamfinder fan owes it to themselves to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWzNjQ0zdHM

After the duet, Dreamfinder waited for the thunderous applause and roars from the crowd to quiet before leading the entire building in two more verses of One Little Spark. At the end, Mr. Sherman and Dreamfinder stood on the stage together, both receiving a deserved standing ovation as the roar of the crowd continued. For us Disney fans, especially those of us who were children of the 80s and early 90s, seeing Dreamfinder and Figment again was like being reunited with our father and best friend.

20110515_0465.jpg

As I mentioned numerous times above, the reaction of all 1,200 guests present really made for a special experience. However, by far the man most excited to be there was up on stage. Reprising his role as Dreamfinder, Ron Schneider was grinning ear to ear for the duration of his time on stage, and was absolutely beaming. I do not doubt in the least that Dreamfinder is truly a part of him, and that Figment is like his son. The excitement didn’t stop with us guests and Dreamfinder; in talking to Paul Anderson at the Mix and Mingle afterwards, he admitted to crying, and to seeing Marty Sklar, among others, cry.

20110515_0466.jpg

While I am man-enough to be able to admit to when I tear up, it didn’t happen while Dreamfinder and Figment were on stage. My eyes did well up plenty, but nothing. Then, all of the sudden, as I returned to my seat for the performance of “Golden Dreams,” the waterworks started. I guess my tear ducts were in a state of paralysis while Dreamfinder and Figment were out there, but as soon as they left, it hit me. “I just saw Dreamfinder and Figment for the first time in roughly 15 years.” It was a dream come true, and one of my top two moments at Disney all-time. (Sarah and I got engaged on the Polynesian…I’ll refrain from ranking the moments here.) If one five minute appearance by Dreamfinder and Figment got me this worked up, there’s cause for concern if Disney ever gets its sense together and restores Dreamfinder to the Journey into Imagination pavilion with an attraction worthy of the original. I think I might just spend an entire trip riding over and over again. Someone will have to drag me kicking and screaming from the place at closing each night!

Once Richard Sherman, Dreamfinder and Figment left the stage, and Becky Kline made her closing remarks, I figured the event was over. I was wrong.

Encore! Cast Choir and Orchestra (made up of Cast Members from all departments of Walt Disney World Resort) took the stage and began singing songs from EPCOT Center. It really was a shame that the Cast Choir named itself Encore!, as I think they might have been chosen as an Encore! because of their name. They really should have been featured before Mr. Sherman as an opening act, as I think everyone was a bit pre-occupied when they did take the stage, which is a shame. I know my mind wasn’t focused on their performance.

What I do remember of their performance, was absolutely spectacular. Chill-inducing. They played and sang a stirring rendition of Golden Dream to start the performance, and played a good number of other songs throughout. My mind was still racing from the Dreamfinder and Figment appearance, so I don’t exactly remember the order of the songs. I do remember that most EPCOT Center songs were played, and that the performance concluded with Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand, which was especially poignant.

As Celebrate the Future ended, the Disney Legends, presenters, performers, etc. of the weekend took the stage for one last bow. This was probably the greatest standing ovation I’ve experienced, as the crowd went nuts. It was great to finally be able to express our collective “thank yous” to the Cast Members, Imagineers, and other Disney greats who have made the thing over which so many of us obsess come run like a well-oiled machine over the last 40 years.

20110515_0467.jpg

20110515_0468.jpg