Battle of the Disney Chocolate-Covered Sandwiches

From the Disney Food Blog...

Battle of the Disney Chocolate-Covered Sandwiches

Aug 24th, 2011 by AJ. It was over a year ago that I first shared my chocolate-covered peanut butter sandwich experience here on the Disney Food Blog.

chocolate-covered-peanut-butter-sandwiches-500x333.jpg

And since enjoying that one-of-a-kind snack, I’ve found that it’s rarely available in Walt Disney World anymore — even though you can find it regularly in Disneyland (when it’s not selling out in the span of a few hours) at Pooh Corner in Critter Country and at the Candy Palace on Main Street. It’s also at the Candy Shop in Disney California Adventure.

What you can still find regularly in Walt Disney World (and in Disneyland) are the the chocolate-covered s’mores, the sister candy to the peanut butter sandwich. They look exactly the same, but inside they’re oh-so-different!

I figured we should highlight both of these and see which one you guys prefer (be sure to vote in the poll at the end of the post!).

Chocolate-Covered S’more

Major points to this option since it’s so regularly available on both coasts! The s’more is made up of a chocolate covered graham cracker on the bottom (I love that it’s already chocolate covered so that it doesn’t get soggy with the marshmallow on top!), covered with a thick layer of soft marshmallow, and dunked in a hefty coating of milk chocolate.

smores-sandwich-500x333.jpg

Chocolate Covered S'mores As you can see on the inside, it’s not technically a sandwich. There’s no “top” graham cracker — the marshmallow is just covered with a thick layer of chocolate. And it is thick. If you love chocolate, you’ll love these!

smores-sandwich-cross-section-500x304.jpg

S'mores Cross Section Again, I’ll reiterate that the graham cracker is not soggy — a feat of great proportions if you ask me! I’ve rarely had a pre-made s’mores snack that doesn’t have soggy graham crackers. Well done, Disney!

I will say, however, that if you don’t care for marshmallow, you won’t like this. The marshmallow is spongy and springy — not gooey like a marshmallow fluff. If the texture of a regular marshmallow turns you off, this won’t appeal to you.

Overall, I really enjoyed the textures and flavors of this snack more than I thought I would! Often, I stay away from marshmallow snacks — they’re too sweet and don’t have enough substance to me most of the time. But this one was great! Two thumbs up.

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Sandwich

This snack really does live up to its hype. If you’re a peanut butter and chocolate lover, this is a must-do for you!

Sandwich.jpg

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Sandwich Once again, a chocolate-covered graham cracker makes up the base of this treat. It’s covered with a slab of peanut butter and smothered in a thick coating of milk chocolate.

Sandwich-cross-section.jpg

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cross Section The peanut butter here is much more solid than the peanut butter you have in the jar at home. Think reese’s peanut butter cup, but even slightly more solid. It breaks off in chunks rather than smoothly separating, so if that’s the kind of peanut butter filling you enjoy, this one’s for you.

Again, the chocolate coating here is super-thick. And while the s’more has sweetness throughout, the peanut butter sandwich has a bit more saltiness to it, giving it a few different flavors.

Also, note that this isn’t actually a sandwich either. But since Disney markets it that way, we’ll call it a sandwich! icon_wink.gif

What’s Your Favorite?

Now it’s time for you to weigh in! If you’ve tried either or both of these snacks (or if you’d like to!), let us know what you think! Which snack is more appealing to you?