Here are a couple pictures from Creekwood Resort outside Helen, GA.  The campground was VERY nice.  However, because of the FREEZING temps, we didn't get to enjoy the outdoors at all.  We had to take this trip because my sweet mother in law passed away and we took the camper because all the family was coming to town.  I "thought" it would be better to have our own space and not be in a hotel.  Now I wish we had just gotten a hotel.  Apparently our Passport has zero insulation and the big windows do not help! :-\

The campground has full hookups, which were a must.  I didn't want to use a comfort station in the cold weather.  We will stay here again for sure when the weather is nicer and the trip is for pleasure.

DSC00853.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

Yes, that is a Mickey head snowman.  Best we could do w/ what little snow was left.......

How did you like Creekwood resort?  I know it was a bad time of year, but we have been wanting to go to Helen Ga. for the ocktoberfest and wanted to find a good place to stay

We really liked it.  It was small, very clean and quiet.  We were the only campers there all week!  The owners take really good care of it and are very nice!  We didn't go in the laundry and bath house though, so I can't say how they were. 

If you want to go to Oktoberfest, it is about 5.8 miles out of town on the same road that Unicoi State Park is on.  Unicoi has a campground too, but does not have full hook ups.  If you want to do some sight seeing (waterfalls, Brasstown, etc) it is in a pretty good location.  I believe they had a few sites that would be too short for our trailer (30ft) and the truck.  With only 17 sites, you should book early.  We had site 9, it was the only one w/ the wood deck. 

For the reason we were there, it was a bit out of the way.  We spent most of the time w/ family in Clarkesville - about a 25 minute drive.  And when we made the trip a couple times a day, it got a bit annoying.  We will probably stay there again for Thanksgiving because it will be cooler and we will want full hookups.  We will also be doing much more sight seeing.

If you've never been to Helen for Oktoberfest, be ready for major traffic.  If you've never been up that way, we can fill you in on some neat sights to see, especially if you like hiking and waterfalls :banana:

We park our camper in a campground for the whole winter in Lancaster Pa. we love being able to go up when ever we want. We do not have water but the bath house is open and next to the Fort one of the cleanest bathrooms. We were there this weekend and had plenty of snow.

We Are @ Old Mill Stream a few weeks ago we went up and did snow tubeing @ Roundtop we will go up President weekend so my youngest can go snowboarding there also, not sure if i will join him on my skis or not. We get to stay there till the end of March.

Guest starbuc71

How did you like Creekwood resort?  I know it was a bad time of year, but we have been wanting to go to Helen Ga. for the ocktoberfest and wanted to find a good place to stay

We really liked it.  It was small, very clean and quiet.  We were the only campers there all week!  The owners take really good care of it and are very nice!  We didn't go in the laundry and bath house though, so I can't say how they were. 

If you want to go to Oktoberfest, it is about 5.8 miles out of town on the same road that Unicoi State Park is on.  Unicoi has a campground too, but does not have full hook ups.  If you want to do some sight seeing (waterfalls, Brasstown, etc) it is in a pretty good location.  I believe they had a few sites that would be too short for our trailer (30ft) and the truck.  With only 17 sites, you should book early.  We had site 9, it was the only one w/ the wood deck. 

For the reason we were there, it was a bit out of the way.  We spent most of the time w/ family in Clarkesville - about a 25 minute drive.  And when we made the trip a couple times a day, it got a bit annoying.  We will probably stay there again for Thanksgiving because it will be cooler and we will want full hookups.  We will also be doing much more sight seeing.

If you've never been to Helen for Oktoberfest, be ready for major traffic.  If you've never been up that way, we can fill you in on some neat sights to see, especially if you like hiking and waterfalls :rofl2:

Thank you so much for the info.  I drove through Helen about 2 years ago and loved the German Theme. If we do get up that way I will contact you before we go for more info.  Thanks again

Back when we were young and childless, we would go backpacking in the winter, ie snow.  It is definitely a different experience.  Bundle up in a super warm down sleeping bag, the snow under the tent compressing and melting a bit to conform to your body.  Very snug with a warm enough sleeping bag.  And you sleep for a loooong time.  Just don't drink too much before bed.  You definitely don't want to get up in the middle of the night for a run to the comfort station!  Maybe nowadays we'd do it again.....in a trailer, as far as I'm concerned.  I just have to convince my Boy Scout husband that we need to get one. :dance: