Cruise Packing/Planning

Rebelstand had the great idea of starting a thread about planning and packing for a cruise! So let's post tips and things we've learned from going on cruises.

One of my favorite things to pack is my over-the-door shoe bag. The pockets are clear so you can see what's in them. I got mine at Target for $4.50 and I've used it over and over -- on cruises and in hotel rooms.

I use the pockets for everything that would normally take up counter space -- makeup, hairspray, shampoo, comb/brush, toothbrush/paste, books, sunblock, glasses, etc, etc.

Here's a picture of one like mine

4243810207649P.JPG

My best tip, don't over pack. You never use everything you bring. Go ahead and pack what you think you need and then take half of it out.

I so agree! Pack mix and match outfits. Remember you will probably never see these people again and what you wear makes no difference. Only a couple of pairs of shoes ... one for day and one for evening. BTW, I've never packed an over-the-door shoe bag and never had the need for one. I know this is a popular item with a lot of cruisers. But my biggest need is a power strip. Only a couple of outlets available and so much need ... computer, cell phone, camera battery recharger, etc. Be sure to bring enough memory sticks for your camera.

I so agree! Pack mix and match outfits. Remember you will probably never see these people again and what you wear makes no difference. Only a couple of pairs of shoes ... one for day and one for evening. BTW, I've never packed an over-the-door shoe bag and never had the need for one. I know this is a popular item with a lot of cruisers. But my biggest need is a power strip. Only a couple of outlets available and so much need ... computer, cell phone, camera battery recharger, etc. Be sure to bring enough memory sticks for your camera.

TRUE!!! We brought three power strips and it was barely enough!!!!

I LOVE my over-the-door organizer. Everything stays so....well......organized! lol

Carol -- RCCL is confiscating power strips now. They are no longer allowed because of fire hazard. I'm expecting other cruiselines to follow. :(

You are kidding, right? Geez. There is no way. For example, the plug that was on the nightstand was situated in such a way that the plug for the CPAP machine wouldn't plug into it directly. Had to plug in a power strip and then plug in the CPAP to the strip.

Not kidding. When I went on my ship tour of the Oasis last month, we went through the security area, and along with the piles of irons and booze, there were piles of power strips! I'm not sure what people with CPAP machines do. Maybe you can get special permission, with a doctor's note or something? I'll have to check on that.

Not kidding. When I went on my ship tour of the Oasis last month, we went through the security area, and along with the piles of irons and booze, there were piles of power strips! I'm not sure what people with CPAP machines do. Maybe you can get special permission, with a doctor's note or something? I'll have to check on that.

Just be sure and let us know if Disney starts this!!

You call Rhonda (Roz) and book your cruise. (the only thing I can add so far)

That's a great tip! :D

It took over 12 years to convince my DH to take a Disney Cruise but with Roz's help I finally did it.

You just watch -- he's gonna get off this 3-day cruise, complaining that it wasn't long enough! He'll want to book another one right away! :)

That's a great tip! :D

You just watch -- he's gonna get off this 3-day cruise, complaining that it wasn't long enough! He'll want to book another one right away! :)

A girl can Dream!

I pulled up my reservations number online, signed up for the email tips, read 100 pages in my DCL 2011 guide book and got my new ticker going this morning... now to contain the excitement for the next 1 yr, 3 months, 2 weeks, and 4 days.

Good for you Nicki, my first Cruise was on the Disney wonder, 5 years ago. I got bit buy the cruise bug big time and have been on 9 cruises since then. As soon as I get back from the Fort I will be seriously planning a cruise on the Fantasy. :)

9 cruises in 5 years.. that sounds like some serious fun!!

I originally tried to go for our honeymoon. A land & Sea package but the funds weren't there. Instead my In-Laws paid for an all inclusive trip to Cancun....we got married in April, springbreaks were still being celebrated, the bar opened at 9am and closed around 2 am, and my husband got a case of ecoli.

So I have a question about pet boarding. Has anyone used my canine cabana http://www.mycaninecabana.com/index.htm or Whiskerz pet grooming and boarding http://whiskerzpetgroomingandboarding.com/Contact_Us.html#webcom-component-form-160831669053451?Ok for their pets while on a cruise?

One is 1/2 a mile from the port the other is 6 miles. I know it may seem early to be asking but some pet facilities fill up faster and early than Fort Wilderness for Christmas. I would imagine that with all the cruises going in and out they would be pretty busy.

Roz, do u do planning for disney cruises only or for other cruise lines as well? We would love to do a cruise for our 40th anniversary in 2013 and have been looking online for ideas, but since it will be our first cruise, it is a little overwhelming.

Hi! I do all the cruise lines - and I'd love to help you with your anniversary cruise! :)

Send me an email ([email protected]) and let me know what you're looking for. I'll send you some ideas and quotes!

So for a three day cruise, what does one absolutely need to pack. Not planning any excursions other than getting off at Castaway Cay. Anyone have any must do activities (might help to break it down by boats)?

Here's my list of what I normally bring on a 3-day cruise:

3 shirts

3 shorts

2 swimsuits

coverup (or two, depending if one matches both suits)

one pair flipflops for the pool and for the beach on CC

2 pairs of nice pants with 2 matching shirts (for dinners)

1 skirt with blouse, or a dress (for one of the dinners)

1 pair nice sandals that can go with all 3 dinner outfits

undies (no socks or nylons needed!)

toiletries (sunscreen, makeup, comb/brush, toothbrush/paste, conditioner, lotion)

hairdryer (I don't like theirs)

phone charger

books (to read by the pool)

passport and drivers license

That's about it! Easily fits into one medium-sized suitcase. :D

Here's my list of what I normally bring on a 3-day cruise:

3 shirts

3 shorts

2 swimsuits

coverup (or two, depending if one matches both suits)

one pair flipflops for the pool and for the beach on CC

2 pairs of nice pants with 2 matching shirts (for dinners)

1 skirt with blouse, or a dress (for one of the dinners)

1 pair nice sandals that can go with all 3 dinner outfits

undies (no socks or nylons needed!)

toiletries (sunscreen, makeup, comb/brush, toothbrush/paste, conditioner, lotion)

hairdryer (I don't like theirs)

phone charger

books (to read by the pool)

passport and drivers license

That's about it! Easily fits into one medium-sized suitcase. :D

x 3. my husband thinks we should be able to get all 4 of our clothes into a small suitcase or duffel bag

• 2 months later...