From the Disney Food blog...

Review: Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe

Jan 15th, 2012 by AJ.

Riding side-saddle between Adventureland and Frontierland, Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe — often shortened to “Pecos Bill’s” is the place to sit for a spell (and chow down) with your posse!

From burgers to taco salads, there’s a little something for everyone here, which makes it a guest-favorite for counter-service in the Magic Kingdom!

Atmosphere

Because guests can see the restaurant from Adventureland and Frontierland, Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe looks like an old West saloon from the outside in Frontierland but has a more Caribbean appearance on the Adventureland side.

Pecos-Bill-Sign-500x333.jpg

Pecos Bill Sign on Adventureland Side

Pecos-Bills-3.JPG

Sign from Frontierland Side

Inside, you’ll find dark woods and decor you’d expect in booming mining towns of the West. If you keep moving toward the Adventureland side of the restaurant, though, you’ll run into slightly more Caribbean decor — cobblestones, blooming flowers, and warmer stone walls. This runs opens into Tortuga Tavern next door!

But back to the old West, if you take a peek at the walls, you’ll find the story behind Pecos Bill’s (every Disney destination has a story!).

Story-of-Pecos-Bills-350x525.jpg

Story of Pecos Bill - click image for larger version

And, of course, we can’t forget the Code of the West!! We highlighted this and another fun Disney sign on the blog last week!

code-of-the-west-321x475.jpg

Code of the West

And outdoor seating section wraps around two sides of the restaurant, offering an option to eat al fresco. Here’s a great tip: the seating section located all the way around the restaurant (toward Adventureland) is the last to fill up, so head there first!

Outdoor-seating-2-500x415.jpg

More Outdoor Seating

Inside, you’re greeted with a dark, but cozy seating area. Be warned that during busy times, this place is both loud and busy…and could be a reason to high tail it over to the relative quiet of Columbia Harbour House’s second floor seating area over in Liberty Square!

Indoor-seating-500x333.jpg

Indoor Seating

Ordering

The ordering process at Pecos Bill’s gives you a choice before you even begin to decide what you want from the menu! You can choose from the relatively new automated ordering system, or the standard order-from-a-real-person system.

Regular-line-350x392.jpg

Regular, Non-Express Ordering Line

Express-Ordering-sign-500x331.jpg

Express Ordering Sign

I went for express ordering, because ever since my love affair with Sheetz gas stations’ Made-to-Order machines (MTO!), I’ve always chosen automated over person! Good memories of some seriously delicious buffalo chicken sandwiches back in Pennsylvania!

Express-Ordering-350x426.jpg

Express Ordering

The express ordering option opens with the question of whether or not you’re on a Disney Dining Plan so that it can charge your card correctly. And once you’re ready to pay, you have multiple choices, including your room key, a Disney gift card, a credit card, or a Disney Rewards Card. I think this is a great way to keep things streamlined!

Express-Ordering-1-500x387.jpg

Express Ordering - Select a Disney Dining Plan

Express-Ordering-Payment-options-500x390.jpg

Express Ordering Payment Options

The options are divided into different menus, so you just need to select the menu needed (e.g. entrees, vegetarian, kids, desserts, sides, etc…), then choose what you’d like from that menu. The system will offer choices as necessary!

Express-Ordering-2-500x333.jpg

Express Ordering - Select an Entree

I liked that they offered a vegetarian menu AND a menu with side dishes!

Express Ordering Vegetarian Menu

I never knew they had corn chowder! Why didn’t anyone tell me they had corn chowder??? I need to go add that to the Disney Food Blog Mini-Guide to Magic Kingdom Snacks!

Express Ordering Side Items

And of course, I fell for the up-sell…

Express-Ordering-Upsell-500x265.jpg

Express Ordering Upsell

Eats

OK, let’s get down to business and take a look at the options! Pecos Bill’s is known for its burgers, taco salads, and condiment bar! Yep — this is one of those lovely spots where you can get unlimited sauteed mushrooms and other goodies to dress up your entree!

Menu-500x267.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

Speaking of the condiment bar, let’s take a look-see, shall we?? Peppers and pickles, salsa, and sauteed mushrooms are in high demand!

peppers-and-pickles-condiments-500x333.jpg

Peppers and Pickles at Condiment Bar

salsa-condiment-500x333.jpg

Condiment - Salsa

sauteed-mushrooms-condiments-500x335.jpg

Condiments - Sauteed Mushrooms

And folks have been known to create a little side salad out of the lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese!

cheese-lettuce-tomatoes-condiments-500x223.jpg

Cheese, Lettuce, Tomatoes on Condiment Bar

Of course, there’s ample mustard, ketchup, and mayo (in those annoying dispensers that end up squirting out more stuff even after you’ve stopped pressing the button…tip: stop pressing the button when your cup is about 3/4 full!).

mustard-ketchup-mayo-condiments-500x276.jpg

Condiments - Mustard, Ketchup and Mayo

And…sigh…plastic cheese. I wonder when Disney will start labeling these dispensers “plastic cheese.”

plastic-cheese-1-500x401.jpg

Plastic Cheese

Once you’re ready to head over to your seat, grab utensils, salad dressing, and other condiments at the end of the condiment bar.

So, since I’m getting hungry, let’s get on with the show! I chose the Angus Burger with onion rings, bacon, and barbecue sauce, on the recommendation of several readers over on the Disney Food Blog facebook page!

I really thought this burger was good. The onion rings, bacon, and sauce gave it a lot of flavor (though with all of that topping flavor, I missed the true Angus beef flavor a bit). From the looks of the photos, the patty looks dry. I don’t remember it being dry, but maybe I was blinded by the yummy toppings!

If you’ve tried this burger and have an opinion on it, let us know in the comments!

Angus-Burger-500x333.jpg

Angus Burger

Angus-Burger-close-up-500x333.jpg

Angus Burger close-up

Angus Burger Cross-Section

Next up, of course I had to try the corn chowder!! Yes indeed! I am a corn chowder lover, and this version was decent. It wasn’t the best (a super buttery, somewhat watery, version I had once, which was to die for), but it certainly wasn’t the worst. Definitely a good option on a cold Magic Kingdom day, or for a filling snack when you don’t want a full meal.

corn-chowder-close-up-500x333.jpg

Corn Chowder Close-Up

And just to torture myself a month later when I’m on a diet to fit into a bridesmaid’s dress in my brother’s wedding, I had to take a photo of this deliciousness — a yummy french fry dipped in liquid gold. Why do I do this to myself?? Why?? icon_wink.gif

Overall

I hadn’t been to Pecos Bill’s in years — seriously…years — and I am SO glad I went. While this joint serves up standard Disney fast food, I can’t help it that I’m a big fan of standard Disney fast food! Sometimes a giant burger and a side of fries really hits the spot, and that’s exactly what Pecos Bill’s delivered on this visit.

I love the automated ordering system. It was quick, easy, and made going through the getting-my-food process very easy. But I do have to say that the seating areas at Pecos Bill’s leave something to be desired. I tucked myself into a corner outside, but it still felt crowded and loud making the experience slightly less enjoyable. (What can I say…I love food, and I want eating to be a good experience, not just a task.)

Also, as an aside, I didn’t have a problem with the whole wheat burger falling apart on me, luckily. I know that’s been a problem for previous visitors… . icon_smile.gif

http://www.disneyfoo...e-inn-and-cafe/