From the Disney Food blog...

Snack Series: Coppa Delizia from Italy’s Gelato Stand in Epcot

Jan 25th, 2012 by AJ.

Over the past few years, Italy has become one of my favorite countries in Epcot. They have the best pizza in Disney World, a little tiny canal to remind me of wandering around Venice, a fun mask painter, and, of course, gelato.

Italy-view-500x356.jpg

View from Italy

The little gelato stand in Italy is easy to walk by without noticing. It looks like several other plain kiosks in Epcot — the ones that sell coffee and those ubiquitous cookies and pastries (which aren’t bad, but they don’t hold a candle to what I’m about to show you).

But when you get a little closer and check out the menu, you’ll notice that you’re in for a little surprise. When I stopped by this kiosk recently, I had no intention of getting any gelato. But as soon as I saw those gelato “creations” in the middle, I knew I had no choice! It was on! You can’t call something a “creation” and think I’m gonna just walk on by! icon_wink.gif

Italy-Gelato-Menu-396x525.jpg

Italy's Gelato Menu - click image for larger version

I was stuck between the Amicizia and the Delizia, but ended up going for the latter — I loved the idea of cookies and cream gelato with strawberry sauce!

Italy-Gelato-500x225.jpg

Gelato Selections

This incredibly rich, shareable treat has three scoops of gelato: cookies and cream — which reminds me of one of my favorite flavors from my Italy backpacking days: stracciatella, Fior di Latte — which is a milk-flavored gelato (thanks for setting me straight on this one, J Hayes!), and strawberry!

This is all topped with a thick strawberry sauce, a pile of whipped cream, and whole strawberries! And it looks a little something like this!

Delizia-2-319x525.jpg

Delizia Decadence!

Gorgeous, isn’t it? And HUGE! This is one treat that I felt truly conspicuous eating in the middle of the World Showcase. It’s so big that it puts many table-service restaurant desserts to shame; and I don’t think too many people know that these monstrosities are available at the gelato kiosk, so when you see someone walking through the Showcase eating such a huge sundae, you really do start to wonder where that thing came from!

Anyway, once I got over my shyness about it (which happened pretty quickly — I’m getting used to eating huge amounts of food in front of shocked onlookers at this point ;-D), I realized how yummy it was! While sweet, you notice the richness and the decadence of the gelato before anything else. In my experience, good gelato is an incredible dessert when its naked — add in all of that strawberry sauce and creamy whipped cream goodness and it becomes quite a statement of a dish.

Delizia-cross-section-500x333.jpg

Delizia Cross-Section -- cookies and cream gelato

And while I didn’t finish the delizia (sadly, I was on a solo trip and had no one to help me!), I can highly recommend skipping dessert at your World Showcase restaurant and heading over for one of these huge sundaes…especially if you’re in the mood for ice cream!

Or, you can take full advantage of your vacation, have dessert at the restaurant, then walk the long way around the Showcase to pick up one of these! icon_wink.gif

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/01/25/snack-series-coppa-delizia-from-italys-gelato-stand-in-epcot/