My DD15 has the opportunity to go to Italy with her school.  They are going to several different cities.  Tonight is the first meeting to learn about the itinerary and trip rules, etc.  I am nervous about her going so far away, but I know I would have been absolutely thrilled to go on a trip like that at 15 (or now!).  Anybody taken an Italy trip or sent their child on a trip far from home?

Wow - this will be a trip of a lifetime for her!  She'll always remember it! 

I would just be extra diligent about talking to the teachers about it -- how many chaperones, and who are they?  You want an EXACT itinerary--where they will be staying each night, etc. 

Could you possibly go with them, as a chaperone?

She is thrilled!  At the meeting I learned that there will be five chaperones and 10 parents along for the ride.  There are currently 26 students signed up, so the ratio is pretty good.  They gave us the itinerary back in Nov, just without the exact dates.  They will visit Venice, Florence, Assissi, Pompeii, Sorrento and Rome.  I wouldn't need to go as a chaperone, parents are welcome on the tour as well.  The trip is expensive  :raspberry:, so I don't know if I can go, realistically.  But I am definitely trying to find a way!

Even after the meeting I am still a little nervous about DD15 being on her own (the students have free time to explore).  She tends to be in her own world and I want her to be aware of her surroundings.  I know she will love this trip and will always remember it, but I want her to remember it in a good way!

When is her trip?

My DD16 is doing a very similar trip June 27-July 8.

Rome, Florence, Cote d'Azur, Provence, and Barcelona.

It's with a group called Explorica.  They do all kinds of student trips. 

And yes, it costs a pretty penny.

Not only that, she's going to Disney with the marching band in April!

Unfortunately we won't be joining her on either trip. :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip! We have ebags weekender bags.  They are great!  I liked mine so much, we got them for the kids, too.  She is a light packer anyway (Girl Scout training!), so she should be able to use that bag for this trip. 

Wow, That will be an awesome expierance. Good for her.  Take lots of pics and gives us a TR when you get back please.          :banana:

• 4 weeks later...

I went on a similar trip when I was in HS, of course that was last century.

We went to Spain with the Spanish class and we all had a blast.  The memories will last a lifetime.  Best of luck to both of you, and here's hoping your numbers come up in the lottery so you can afford to go as well.  I was fortunate to have had some awesome grandparents who helped with the $$.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! No debt required!  With our tax refund, I have enough to go now!  I am so excited and so is DD15.  She really wanted me to go because she wants to spend time with me (weird I know for a teenager).  Thanks for all your encouragement!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you and your daughter go on your trip yet?

I just got back from the airport dropping my DD off for theirs. :'(

You are so lucky that you're able to go with her.!

Yes, we are back! It was awesome! The weather was great, the kids were well-behaved, and the food was amazing. We went to Venice, Florence, Assisi, Capri, Pompeii, Vatican City, and Rome. It was a student tour, so the hotels were very low budget, and my daughter and I would have liked to have more time to just wander (as opposed to running from one planned thing to another). But all in all we loved it and we want to take the rest of the family there one day.

Florence was my favorite as well. My DD's favorite was Venice. She loved the canals and getting around by boat. I'm really glad I went with her not only because I loved Italy, but also because she got lost in St.Peter's Cathedral in Vatican City. The largest church in the world, packed full of people! She got involved in taking pictures and didn't notice the group had moved on. That was a scary 20 minutes for both of us.