From the Disney Parks blog...

Welcoming Home New Disney Vacation Club Merchandise

posted on February 2nd, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

lgg697532SMALL.jpg

I love hearing the phrase “welcome home” every time I visit a Disney Vacation Club Resort. It makes me feel like the cast members are truly glad I’m visiting (I wish someone would greet me like that every time I return home to my place). Disney Theme Park Merchandise recently welcomed a new assortment of Disney Vacation Club Member items. The introduction of a re-imagined Disney Vacation Club logo last year was a driving factor in creating these items. Product Developer Lindsay Voigt told me that guest feedback also played an important role in the development process.

cup496432SMALL.jpg

“We are introducing approximately 40 new items,” explained Lindsay. “We worked closely with the Disney Vacation Club team and guest research to find out what [Disney Vacation Club members] really wanted. It was a great collaboration that helped with the design direction.”

Lindsay said that members were looking for a few things when it came to merchandise including subtle branding, simplistic left chest embroidery, polo shirts and jackets. Disney characters like Mickey Mouse and Tinker Bell were also important.

Lindsay worked with Bob Holden from Disney Design Group to create a “key” piece of artwork featuring Mickey Mouse. A variety of items use that artwork including shirts, mugs, automobile magnets and more. She said one of her favorite items was the hoodie which has that subtle logo that members were seeking.

png496423SMALL.jpg

Other favorite items with members are Disney pins. We first introduced an annual collection of pins in 2004. This year’s collection features an open edition pin shaped like a key. There is a series of four limited-edition pins that have a “vacation your way” theme. Jeanne Lewis, developer for Disney Pins, said that she was inspired by 500 Member Getaways vacation options across the globe for members. A new limited-edition pin will be released in February, May, August and November.

nee496422SMALL.jpg

Finally, Lindsay shared with me four new merchandise logos that were designed by Bob Holden and another artist named Jeff Granito. I love the vintage style and colors used in these logos. Bob said he purposely chose pie-eyed Mickey and Minnie to match the vintage style of the logos (that’s awesome!). Look for this artwork to be used on items arriving this spring.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/welcoming-home-new-disney-vacation-club-merchandise/