Tips for Tent Camping with Toddlers

We've only tent camped once with DD.

DH and I slept with DD in between so we knew she wouldn't get up in the middle of the night and escape.

We were lucky enough that our tent was a 3-dome tent with connecting tunnels.  During the day, one of the smaller tents were dedicated to a play area for her.  It kept her entertained, and it kept her toys quarantined in one area.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old DD's and we started tent camping with them this past summer. The best thing we did buy was a poratble DVD player for them for bedtime to help them unwind and relax. We now have 2 since they were fighting over which movie to watch. They end up going to sleep soon after the movie starts. They have their own double air matress and the youngest sleeps closest to me. We also have a potty for middle of the night emergencys. Other than that, we have coloring books and a couple small games that are easy to pack to occupy them when needed.

Here's a picture of them eating breakfast.

ry%3D400

Best Regards,

Norm

Ditto on the DVD players. I used to take the portable unit out of the van when we were tenting it. Everyone gathered in the tent and watched until they got sleepy. It made a nice transition from activity to sleepiness.

Also, take an oscillating fan if the weather is warm. That little bit of breeze makes it a lot easier to seep.

• 3 weeks later...

Toddlers...they can be tricky little critters aren't they?  :)

We tent camp, so our little people have their own "toddler sized" air mattress with their choice of bedding, Princesses and Buzz Lightyear, respectively.  We also use an oscillating fan to keep some air circulating. Portable DVD players, kid sized flashlights and laterns, Leapsters and games for downtime, and cups with lids for the night-time "tursties".

My husband picks on me cause although we tent camp, I am not one to go without my (or the kids) luxuries, we take so much with us that I just ordered a Roof Bag for my van!!  :)

• 3 weeks later...