My grandma taught me how to quilt when I was little but I've been too busy to keep up with continuing any more quilts. I used to make a lot of my school projects into quilts with my grandma's help in middle school mainly. I won 1st place in my middle school for a "Week of the Ocean" quilt that had sand on the bottom and a lot of touchy-feely sharks and fish that were 3D.

I guess I had a brain fart and never showed salamander the quilt I was talking about! On a tr from a while back, someone took 12x12 squares of fabric to WDW for all the character autographs then made it into a quilt for her grandson. ADORABLE!!!!!

I just posted on the Scrapbooking board, that I have all the fabric to make my daughter a quilt, but haven't cut a single piece out yet.  I am very new at quilting, and I think the actual process of cutting it out is making me nervous.  She's coming to visit in a few weeks (she lives 1000+ miles away) and will be very disappointed to see that I haven't started it yet.  :popcorn:

I just posted on the Scrapbooking board, that I have all the fabric to make my daughter a quilt, but haven't cut a single piece out yet.  I am very new at quilting, and I think the actual process of cutting it out is making me nervous.  She's coming to visit in a few weeks (she lives 1000+ miles away) and will be very disappointed to see that I haven't started it yet.  :hugsmiley:

What design of quilt are you talking about?  What type tools have you purchased?  I was petrified the first few time I started cutting.

It's a pretty simple block print.  We had the lady at the quilt shop help us pick out a simple pattern.  I have the rubber mat, the big clear ruler and a rotary cutter.  The instruction book gives very detailed directions, but I'm still nervous about cutting it.  I'm not planning on hand-quilting it.  Instead I'll have someone do it on a machine. 

First breathe, read the instructions, study your rotary cutting ruler so that you are familiar with it, breathe again, then start cutting, just don't get distracted.  Make sure to allow yourself enough time and few distractions.  And you don't have to get it done all in one day.  It's really not that difficult once you start doing it. 

Yes, I've made a few mistakes but I learned that I don't pay enough attention sometimes.  You might make a few mistakes but remember it's just a quilt and the mistakes are what make them special.  I always say I don't make perfect quilts but I do make them with lots of love.  I also wait to see how long it is before someone notices the mistake..... gives me a laugh!

First breathe, read the instructions, study your rotary cutting ruler so that you are familiar with it, breathe again, then start cutting, just don't get distracted.  Make sure to allow yourself enough time and few distractions.  And you don't have to get it done all in one day.  It's really not that difficult once you start doing it. 

Yes, I've made a few mistakes but I learned that I don't pay enough attention sometimes.  You might make a few mistakes but remember it's just a quilt and the mistakes are what make them special.  I always say I don't make perfect quilts but I do make them with lots of love.  I also wait to see how long it is before someone notices the mistake..... gives me a laugh!

That is so true. The church ladies that taught me to quilt had a motto " Only God can make a perfect quilt ",  and oh boy I am not  god. But I have made over 40 imperfect quilts. :rofl2:

doodlebug

• 1 year later...

Found this thread after sooo long. I'd forgotten that Doodle told me she quilted till the other day in chat. I decided that I'd share the last few quilts I made. Hopefully others will do the same....

This one is the ""That will show'em". My husband complains I don't make the quilts big enough for when people sleep under them. I say he is a cover hog. However, this one was made around a King Size for a Full Size bed.

quilt1.jpg

You only see about half of the quilt there. The top was, before it's rudimentary quilting job, wider than our Airstream.

quiltinginairstream3.jpg

And there you have the Snarkily Named "That will show'em" Quilt