Calling All Opinionated Fiends...I need you!

So, my sister is coming over tonight to book a trip with me in July. For those of you not in the know, I won a scholarship to an educator's summer academy that is being held at the Hilton in DTD. I can't afford the Hilton. I convinced my sister (who is also a teacher) to join me at this workshop. We are splitting the cost of the trip.

I am a Disney Fiend.(Duh!) If I had my way, I'd have my TT in tote and camp for a week. (Not happening.) So, what's the next best thing? Check out the Value resorts, right? And weigh it against a neighboring hotel...

So, here is what I am trying to wrap my head around...

• Round trip from MI to MCO = $288.00
  • Conference is at the Hilton (by DTD) on July 14 and 15th from 8:30-4 both days. We are planning on staying from the 13th-17th...

Option A: Stay at Hilton - $165 per night - in the same hotel as the workshop, but workshop is only 2 of the 5 days we are there. No ME. Must pay for Mears shuttle too. (add $70)

Option B: Stay at the Wyndham - $99 per night x 4= $445.50 - across the street from the Hilton. No ME. Must pay for shuttle. (add $70) Can walk to Wyndham across the road. No EMH. Free shuttle to parks/DTD.

Option C: Stay at Pop Century - 4 nights=$626 - must get taxi for two mornings to Hilton (add $20). Will have ME and EMH.

What what YOU choose and why?

HELP!

wow Deb, way to let a girl down. :holysheep: Does this mean you don't want my sand pad? :camp1:

Seriously though, we used to stay at the wyndham for 2 weeks each year for workshops & nationals when Starla danced and did powerpak before switching over to YC/BC for a real vacation after DH flew in. It's nice enough. Nicer than the Hilton, much nicer than Pop IMO especially if you're going to have to get up extra early and take a cab from Pop.

I'm not sure $20 would handle the cabfare either. We took a cab from ASsports to CSR a few years back. That's a really short trek and it cost us $20. From pop to hotel blvd is much farther than that.

Walking to the bus stop at DTD from the Wyndham isn't far at all. You should also be able to get convention tickets to the parks that'll save you a decent amount. FWIW we found the tickets offered by the convention itself were often not as good a deal as some of the convention tickets sold in the gift shop.

Deb, I really think you can get the Hilton for lower if you wait...like I said before, I was getting an 89$/night rate with that honors corporate code. That way it is your lowest option and you are at the one you want...they are the hotel also that offers EMH, the only non-disney hotel that has that. You could always book the one that you think is the best for now and then keep checking...if one goes down, which I think they will, then grab it. I don't know if you can beat 89 a night including EMH. Good luck!!

wow Deb, way to let a girl down. :holysheep: Does this mean you don't want my sand pad? :camp1:

Seriously though, we used to stay at the wyndham for 2 weeks each year for workshops & nationals when Starla danced and did powerpak before switching over to YC/BC for a real vacation after DH flew in. It's nice enough. Nicer than the Hilton, much nicer than Pop IMO especially if you're going to have to get up extra early and take a cab from Pop.

I'm not sure $20 would handle the cabfare either. We took a cab from ASsports to CSR a few years back. That's a really short trek and it cost us $20. From pop to hotel blvd is much farther than that.

Walking to the bus stop at DTD from the Wyndham isn't far at all. You should also be able to get convention tickets to the parks that'll save you a decent amount. FWIW we found the tickets offered by the convention itself were often not as good a deal as some of the convention tickets sold in the gift shop.

:unsure: We promise to still squat for a bit, Pam....just not overnight with a tent. ;) Things are still up in the air about location. My sister and I sat side by side with our lap tops digging through hotel discounts and options. It appears we're going to go with the Wyndham, but we haven't confirmed anything yet. We kinda got a bit sidetracked from hotels when I hit a roadblock with purchasing my flight. After several years of building points, I was all set to use our flight points for my airfare. Unfortunately, when I went to confirm the flight, I needed to enter our credit card number....the number on the card that was sliced to bits back in September! :blink:

So, long story short, we have to wait for a new card in the mail.

Pop Century

I wish. :( It became clear last night that I'll have to say farewell to that option...

Deb, I really think you can get the Hilton for lower if you wait...like I said before, I was getting an 89$/night rate with that honors corporate code. That way it is your lowest option and you are at the one you want...they are the hotel also that offers EMH, the only non-disney hotel that has that. You could always book the one that you think is the best for now and then keep checking...if one goes down, which I think they will, then grab it. I don't know if you can beat 89 a night including EMH. Good luck!!

Thanks, Brandy. I will certainly keep an eye on this one. Talk about saving us any hassles. It would be the best of everything....

I think they want the credit card number to pay the 9/11 security fee. Do you have a debit card with a Visa/MC logo on it? That will work too. Also a lot of airlines are taking PayPal now.

Because I used the points from the card, I HAVE to use the SAME card to pay for any balance. (The card that no longer exists...I KNEW I should've written down the number!) :banghead:

MouseSavers has $126 a night at the Hilton. I used July 8-13 because I don't know your dates.

Close...our dates are July 13-17. Thanks for heads up. I'll have to check it out.

Have I mentioned you guys are the best? :hugs2:

Flight is booked! Woohoooo!!!!!!

We're going to take Brandy's advice and wait it out a bit for rooms to drop in price. (worst case, we'll be back to borrowing that tent and squatting on Pam's pad, right?)

Let's see what a couple of weeks brings us, eh? Fingers crossed!

Flight is booked! Woohoooo!!!!!!

We're going to take Brandy's advice and wait it out a bit for rooms to drop in price. (worst case, we'll be back to borrowing that tent and squatting on Pam's pad, right?)

Let's see what a couple of weeks brings us, eh? Fingers crossed!