Shady Grove on Lake Lanier.... Cumming, GA

I went to Shady Grove Campground, a local Lake Lanier campground, to check it out for some camping this summer. I’ve never stayed there or even been there, which is surprising because I’ve camped at several on the lake. I think I forget about it because it’s one of the few on the lake not run by the Army Corp of Engineers, and they don’t have online reservations. Anyway, I like what I saw, so I’ll be returning soon.

Pros: inexpensive, on the lake with lots of great views, redone area is nice, very nice playground, ability to beach boats at campsites, large sites that can accomodate an RV plus a tent or two

Cons: can only book 30 days out, have to book by phone (770-205-6849), no sewer or cable, many older sites are difficult to get into if you have a big trailer or class A/C (sites are big just tricky), “no alcohol allowed” (local tip- just put it in a solo cup and no one says anything; all the gov’t owned campgrounds on Lanier say that)

Here’s a map:

http://www.forsythco...f campsites.pdf

Daily fees for use of the campground are as follows:

30 amp electric site with water - $26.00

50 amp electric site with water - $28.00

Tent camping site with no hookups - $18.00

Check in time for reservations are guaranteed after 4 p.m. Check out time is 3 p.m. The park gates are locked from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.

I didn’t take many pictures, but here they are. Sites 70-103 were redone recently and are much nicer sites. I basically took pictures of the 2 I liked the most and the playground. There were actually other nice sites I saw after this, but my 3 year old was ready for a nap.

The playground on the site mentioned above

7e8e01a1.jpg

Site 87… notice the paved pad for an RV, plus plenty of room for a tent or 2 on the lower pad

b6dc9b0a.jpg

ed1e854a.jpg

Site 88… also very large with lower pad

322a564d.jpg

• 1 year later...

We did stay there last summer. I wonder if I posted about it. I usually can't shut up, so I'm thinking I did, but it was my BIL's wedding, so I might have been preoccupied. We didn't stay at one of the sites I took pics of here. It was in the redone part though. 

We are booked on site 85 for the 4th of July Weekend. We have stayed here one other time on site 70. It was secluded but no access to water. Site 100 is actually the most coveted site in the campground but it is very hard to get. They have changed the policy's here lately regarding cancellations because of people abusing the reservation policy. Since you cannot book until 30 days out, As an example For July 4th weekend if you were coming in on July 3rd You couldn't reserve until June 3rd.. Well People would call June 15th, reserve the site from June 15th thru The July 4th weekend and then a couple weeks later they would call back and cancel the days  Up to July 3rd and there was no penalty. That makes it very hard for anyone else to get a good site. Now they have put a 50 % cancellation fee in place to try to stop this.