From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Review: Disney World’s Beach Club Marketplace

Jul 4th, 2012 by AJ.

If you are visiting Disney’s Beach Club Resort in Walt Disney World and you’re hungry for a bite, you’ll soon find that your counter service options are pretty limited here.

Fortunately, you can get a decent sandwich at the deli counter of Beach Club Marketplace.

Beach-Club-Marketplace-Entrance-600x461.jpg

Beach Club Marketplace Entrance - Inside

Atmosphere

The Marketplace is the Beach Club Resort’s gift shop, so at first glance it may not feel very deli-like. icon_wink.gif There are a few tables outside that hint at the fact that you’re near food.

It’s not usually so crowded that you can’t find a spot. I especially love the really pretty setting outside, with the clean, bright white tables and chairs.

Outdoor-Seating-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x450.jpg

Outdoor Seating

Once inside, your suspicions are confirmed: there’s more available here than just souvenirs. As you make your way to the sandwich counter, you’ll feel a little like you’re in a Disney-themed general store!

If you are after staples, both the refrigerated section and an assortment of dry goods can provide you with a few necessities to supplement your restaurant meals with foods prepared in your room. Breakfast items, sandwich fixings, peanut butter and jelly, paper goods, and beverages are all available here.

Beach-Club-Marketplace-41-600x450.jpg

Beach Club Marketplace - Dry Goods

Guests will also find the full Disney beverage set up, comparable to other resort counter service stops around property. Refillable mugs for soda, coffee, and tea are available here.

Coffee-and-tea-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x450.jpg

Coffee and Tea Offerings

Mug-Station-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x450.jpg

Mug Station

And if fountain drinks and coffee don’t appeal, there is a large assortment of bottled drinks, including chilled beer and wine.

Refrigerated-section-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x450.jpg

Extensive Refrigerated Section

There is a toaster and a microwave as well for basic cooking needs.

But we were wanting grab-and-go, so we went straight to the Deli area where you can have sandwiches and flatbreads made-to-order, and indulge in some yummy baked goods.

Eats

There’s no signage to show you the way to the sandwich counter, and it really feels like an afterthought. The counter usually offers several different types of hot and cold sandwiches, and often a “flatbread-of-the-day.” The food isn’t bad, but the several times I’ve been here, it’s usually out of necessity — I’m starving and am late for an appointment, or it’s late at night and I don’t have time to go anywhere else.

As we stepped up to the sandwich counter, we could see several “in-progress” sandwiches.

sandwich-making-station-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x396.jpg

Sandwich Station

Choices were somewhat limited, but my husband and I both found something that appealed to us. He liked the looks of the Italian Sandwich for $7.99.

The sandwich in the display case featured a generous assortment of meats, cheeses, and vegetables, on a lovely cheese-encrusted roll.

Italian-Sandwich-display-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x316.jpg

Italian Sandwich from Display Case

He opted to have the sandwich toasted, and he thought the result was good.

Once it was piled high with vegetables and cut in half, we could see that this was a very generous sandwich. No skimping on the cheese or cold cuts here! He really enjoyed it, and remarked that it wasn’t too spicy, even with the peppers.

With the amount of toppings on the sandwich, we thought that two not-as-hungry people could easily split this one.

Italian-Sandwich-Final-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x453.jpg

Italian Sandwich - Close Up

I opted for the Smoked Ham with Cheddar Sandwich, which was a slightly simpler option and $6.99.

Now, as you can see from the display, the sandwich comes with a hefty serving of frisee as well as tomato slices. But I decided to skip the veg. Just like a chain sandwich shop, sandwiches can be made to order so you can add or subtract toppings to make your sandwich just the way you like it.

Ham-and-Cheddar-sandwich-display-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x507.jpg

Smoked Ham and Cheddar Sandwich Display

The multi-grain roll, as well as the meat and cheese, were delicious. While not as large (or as expensive) as the Italian Sandwich, I found the portion to be just right.

We were also interested to see this other fun option, the Turkey Sandwich with Cranberry-Brie Spread.

Even though I suspect that this version of turkey sandwich is seasonal (we were visiting during the Fall), I had to share pictures with you because this one looks really delicious!

First, the roll gets a healthy smear of whole cranberry sauce.

Making-Turkey-Sandwich-2-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x478.jpg

Making of Turkey Sandwich - Adding the Turkey

Once the berries and turkey are in place, it’s time for the toppings. Brie cheese and frisee bring rich, creamy, and bitter flavors to the party.

Making-Turkey-Sandwich-3-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x414.jpg

Making of Turkey Sandwich - Frisee Topping

The sandwich also comes with bacon, making it a very nice seasonal, upscale twist to a garden-variety turkey club. (The frisee has seen better days in this pic, which actually shows the display case sandwich.)

Final-Turkey-Sandwich-Beach-Club-Marketplace-600x351.jpg

Turkey Sandwich with Cranberry and Brie Spread

As you head to the register to pay for your sandwiches, you can also choose from a couple of prepared items, such as fruit salad or bottled juices, from the cold case.

And let’s not forget the desserts! If you’re in need of something to satisfy your sweet tooth, you’ll also find a selection of pastries to round out your meal.

Beach-Club-Marketplace-11-600x450.jpg

Beach Club Marketplace - Dessert Case

Overall

Like I said, I usually only eat here out of necessity, but when hunger pangs strike (I know…how could I possibly be hungry doing the job I do? You’d be surprised what strange hours I keep…), I’m usually glad this spot is there.

The sandwiches are fresh and the portions are good, and the interesting rolls really set the sandwiches apart. I also prefer having the ability to customize my sandwich rather than pick up a grab-and-go option.

So, when Hurricane Hanna’s is closed and you’d rather not traipse over to Epcot or the Boardwalk for eats, the Beach Club Marketplace can be a lifesaver. icon_wink.gif

Have you tried the sandwiches at Beach Club Marketplace? Let us know below in comments!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/07/04/review-disney-worlds-beach-club-marketplace/