RV Parks Near Wilmington, NC (preferably on the Beach)

I hate to say it, living here and all, but NC just doesn't have a lot of great campgrounds. The only halfway decent beach front place we've ever found is Holiday Trav-L-Park in Emerald Isle, which is about 90 miles from Wilmington. We stayed there once and will not be going back. Woodall's rates it 5 stars on facilities. I'd rate it a 1. It has very little beach front, the entire campground is on a hill which goes down to the beach, and to get to the ocean you have to go up a flight of stairs, walk across the dune, and then go back down a flight of stairs. It's very expensive for what you get, and after Labor Day the town starts shutting down. By Thanksgiving nothing, even restaurants, is open.

Unfortunately, Gwen's right, at least as far as beachy campgrounds. We stayed once at a KOA in Wilmington, but it's not near the beach at all, and it's fairly small and nondescript. Camp Hatteras is pretty nice and right on the beach, but that's on the Outer Banks. I'd go there again, and the kids have been asking to go there. They've got the beach access (we got site #1, I think, that had a gnarly little tree and was directly across from the beach). They also have an indoor pool and an outdoor pool.

Then there's the state park campground at Carolina Beach, which sounds like it's on the beach, but it's not -- but it's very close to the aquarium and the public beach access (huge parking lot) is right next door to the aquarium. We camped there and enjoyed it, but we were tent camping with friends. It looked like a very tight squeeze for RVs, and only a dump station, no hookups, if I remember correctly. And it's right down the highway from Wilmington.

I think that's it, though.

I don't know about private campgrounds around the BRP, but there are some nice government-owned campgrounds. However, they are primitive camping only -- no water, electric, or sewer on the individual sites.

If you plan to visit the BRP with your RV, please carefully check on things like road conditions and tunnel clearances. Our moho is too tall to fit through several tunnels.

Living so close, we often take day trips there. We especially enjoy Mabry Mill, Doughton Park, Peaks of Otter, and Julian Price.

Another great place to visit (right off the parkway) is Chateau Morrisette Winery. The restaurant is delicious, and they have lots of special events going on almost year round. For more info see http://www.thedogs.com/

For more info on the BRP, see http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/index.php

Let me know if you're going to be in the area!