Lefse and Waffles - Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe, Norway Pavilion, Epcot

More deliciousness from Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe from the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Lefse and Waffles at Epcot’s Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe

Jul 31st, 2012 by AJ.

Time to stop by one of everyone’s (well, mine at least ;-D) favorite places to grab a snack while at Epcot — Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe in the Norway Pavilion!

This place has some pretty amazing cult favorites for being so small (which it is…very, very small).

The custardy Schoolbread and the Rice Cream Pudding are some pretty incredible snacks in and of themselves, but I couldn’t wait to branch out on a recent visit. (Nope…no Aquavit this time, kids. ;-D But maybe something even better??)

Norway-School-Bread-500x406.jpg

Better than School Bread?!?

Atmosphere

Located just beyond the Stave church in Norway, you’ll smell the wonderful pastries of Kringla before you open its door.

Once you’re in, you are greeted by a host of cases that hold everything from sandwiches to pastries. (Note: Don’t try to lift the glass panels to get better pictures — you’ll get yelled at. Trust me.) This is also a terrific spot to get coffee, or even that shot of Aquavit if you’re looking to Drink Your Way Around the World. (You’ve been warned.)

There’s no indoor seating here, but there is a covered patio with lots of tables and chairs just through the exit. It’s a nice spot to relax and catch the breeze from the World Showcase Lagoon. Oh, and there’s a little hidden restroom here, too…always good to know.

Eats

There are some really interesting sandwiches here for guests who are looking for something more than just a hamburger or chicken strips. The kids’ menu is a pretty small affair, but today, we were sticking to desserts.

Menu-1-Kringla-Bakeri-Og-Kafe-001-514x625.jpg

Menu 1 - Click to Enlarge

Menu-2-Kringla-Bakeri-Og-Kafe-001-522x625.jpg

Menu 2 - Click to Enlarge

Okee, let’s start with these gorgeous filled waffles! I’m starting to realize that you just can’t go wrong with waffles in Disney World. Mickey waffles, mascarpone-topped waffles, salted-caramel waffles at Contempo Cafe, waffle sandwiches…it’s all good. (Yep, I just started drafting a “waffle” gallery post. Coming sooooon! ;-D)

These particular waffles are thin heart-shaped waffles, joined together like a six-leaf clover, then folded over and sandwiched with berry jam. (I think it’s strawberry jam, but being Norway it could be lingonberry…which would be awesome!)

Speaking of awesome, these were that. Not too sweet (believe it or not), fluffy waffles with that tangy jam were an excellent pairing. A great shareable snack.

Waffles-close-up-Kringla-Bakeri-Og-Kafe1-600x360.jpg

Waffles Up Close

Next, we tried the Lefse, which seems to be Norway’s answer to the crêpe…or maybe the taquito? Made from a dough that includes potatoes and rolled with a cinnamon-sugar butter, I thought this might be interesting. I hear from a lot of you that these are one of your favorite treats!

lefse-close-up-Kringla-Bakeri-Og-Cafe-600x400.jpg

Lefse

But, sadly, I didn’t love these. I’m pretty sure it was the potato-based wrap that caused the trouble for me, as who doesn’t like cinnamony-sugary butter?!?

I got the great advice from a reader (too late, unfortunately) to ask the cast members at Kringla to warm these up before serving them. That probably would have made a huge difference for me!

Maybe this would work with a savory filling, or maybe I just got a bad batch! icon_wink.gif

Overall

It’s always fun to try new things at Disney parks, and while the lefse just did NOT work for me, the waffle was delicious! I’d love to hear about your favorite Kringla treats in the comments. (And feel free to defend the lefse if you’re a fan!)

Are you on a quest to try all of the snacks available at Walt Disney World? Then don’t miss our guide to all things delicious at Epcot, The Disney Food Blog Mini-Guide to Epcot Snacks!

What are your favorite must-have snacks at Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe? Let us know in comments below!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/07/31/review-lefse-and-waffles-at-epcots-kringla-bakeri-og-kafe/