Campground Ettiquette and horror stories

Well I figured this should be brought up because lord knows that we all run into someone or a group of campers that do not have a clue that what they are doing is RUDE!!  Post your horror stories and or funny camper/site pics here!! :laugh:

Feel free to list some campground ettiquette that you think should be followed by most or all campers

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Resurrecting this thread from the grave as I have seen a lot of relevant posts lately about rude campers.   TN22 and I grew up camping and there were always VERY aware of campground etiquette -   - Do

Do unto others:   

When in doubt, follow the golden rule. If you aren?t sure of the proper campground etiquette for something, think about how you would like to be treated. If you are concerned that something might bother your neighbor, your best bet is just to ask them. If you find yourself in a situation where your neighbors or park operators are doing something that you find intolerable, politely address the subject with them. If that doesn?t work, consider moving to another site or another campground. You are in an RV after all.

do_unto.gif

OH - great topic!  Respect bump! 

MIND THE KIDDOS - I think my question of ettiquette point is an easy one.  I have never found this to be a problem at Fort Wilderness as much as it is at other campgrounds - but keep a tab on your kids.  My kids had made numerious friendships over the years camping.  But there have also been times where they have been bullied - even picked on relentlessly by kids who seem to be running amuck without a parent in nearby.  Young kids - 6, 7, 8 and teenagers - just out of control.  I have had to go so far as to stalk them to find out where their site is so I can turn the kid into the po-po.  And - No - I'm not going to come talk to you about it first.  I dont know you - I dont know if you have a gun in yout travel trailer - I'm going to notify the police. 

Yes - If your kid threatens to do harm to my kid - Momma bear is gonna throw down - have no doubt about it.  Keep tabs on your children people!  If your children have a tendancy to cause trouble at school - don't let them run amuck in packs at a campground.  People will turn you in and you will be asked to leave.  I don't think any parent wants to pack up all their gear and go home just because the little ones were let loose to cause trouble.  Supervise the trouble at a minimum.       

Around the campfire:   

Before you light it, make sure it is permitted, and follow any rules the campground may have. Do not use your firepot as a garbage can. There is sure to be a trash can available in your rig or on the park premises. No one likes to pull into a site with a firepot full of beer cans or the remains from someone else?s dinner the night before.

camp.gif

Dance to the music  :laugh: :

Be respectful of others when you play your music.  Just because it is your favorite song, it doesn't mean that everyone else wants to hear it.

We were camped two sites down from some people on the 4th of July last year.  It was obvious that they weren't seasoned campers because their RV had the dealer tags and everything that they brought with them came out of a box brand new.  Obviously a radio was not on their list when they went shopping, so they decided to crank up the car stereo and open the doors and trunk.  Not a good idea...  There were a lot of unhappy campers around them that weekend.

I think my question of ettiquette point is an easy one.  I have never found this to be a problem at Fort Wilderness as much as it is at other campgrounds - but keep a tab on your kids.  My kids had made numerious friendships over the years camping.  But there have also been times where they have been bullied - even picked on relentlessly by kids who seem to be running amuck without a parent in nearby.  Young kids - 6, 7, 8 and teenagers - just out of control.  I have had to go so far as to stalk them to find out where their site is so I can turn the kid into the po-po.  And - No - I'm not going to come talk to you about it first.  I dont know you - I dont know if you have a gun in yout travel trailer - I'm going to notify the police. 

Yes - If your kid threatens to do harm to my kid - Momma bear is gonna throw down - have no doubt about it.  Keep tabs on your children people!  If your children have a tendancy to cause trouble at school - don't let them run amuck in packs at a campground.  People will turn you in and you will be asked to leave.  I don't think any parent wants to pack up all their gear and go home just because the little ones were let loose to cause trouble.  Supervise the trouble at a minimum.     

And we are not babysitters either!! Don't let your kids hang at other peoples site for HOURS!!!

I think my question of ettiquette point is an easy one.  I have never found this to be a problem at Fort Wilderness as much as it is at other campgrounds - but keep a tab on your kids.  My kids had made numerious friendships over the years camping.  But there have also been times where they have been bullied - even picked on relentlessly by kids who seem to be running amuck without a parent in nearby.  Young kids - 6, 7, 8 and teenagers - just out of control.  I have had to go so far as to stalk them to find out where their site is so I can turn the kid into the po-po.  And - No - I'm not going to come talk to you about it first.  I dont know you - I dont know if you have a gun in yout travel trailer - I'm going to notify the police. 

And we are not babysitters either!! Don't let your kids hang at other peoples site for HOURS!!!

Excellent point - Dont drop your kids off with strangers - Hello!

Use a Timer for Your Outdoor Lights

We all love the lights and decorations at the fort...that's part of the reason we keep coming back. But sometimes all these lights get too bright and bother people sleeping in nearby sites. Why not use an outdoor timer set to come on a dusk and turn off a reasonable hour.

UncleFester.gif

If you have been out in your vehicle and come back to the site at a late hour, please try to be considerate to your neighbors and keep the noise levels down by not slamming all four doors as hard as you can and then talking so loud that the campers 3 sites down can hear each word!

If you have been out in your vehicle and come back to the site at a late hour, please try to be considerate to your neighbors and keep the noise levels down by not slamming all four doors as hard as you can and then talking so loud that the campers 3 sites down can hear each word!

...or in the case of the 9 high school seniors camping across from us in November.... please don't slam the 17 (?!?!?!) doors on your car at 2am!

Don't let your children go running and screaming through other people's campsites while playing tag.  Don't let your children flash their flashlights in the face of other campers while they are eating their dinner.  Please make sure your children know that they should get out of the middle of the road and move to the side when a golf cart is trying to drive through.

Do these sound familiar, Christy!  :heart:

Don't let your children go running and screaming through other people's campsites while playing tag.  Don't let your children flash their flashlights in the face of other campers while they are eating their dinner.  Please make sure your children know that they should get out of the middle of the road and move to the side when a golf cart is trying to drive through.

Do these sound familiar, Christy!  :rofl2:

Hey were you on the 300 loop Dec 2nd too?  :heart:

That was our last night.  It was 32 degrees and 5 rental campers packed full of kids (all apparently together in a group) pulled in.  Tag started around 8pm and continued to 12:30.  And because they couldn't get all the campers right next to each other, they were scattered about our end of the loop, which meant "tag" took place racing from camper to camper.

DH and I were laying in bed at midnight under the blankets with the heat on, listening to the little demons shrieking and we said, "yep - time to go home!"  :rofl2:

Do these sound familiar, Christy!  ;D

OMGoodness..........did I ever want to spank some kids that night!!  UUGGHHHH!!  :argh:

OMGoodness..........did I ever want to spank some kids that night!!  UUGGHHHH!!  ;D

I can still see those kids faces when I told them "to move their asses or I WAS going to run them over!"  Poor Tay almost fell out of the cart!! LMAO  :argh: 

Eliminate pet peeves:   

Literally. Pick up after your pets. Stop excessive or extended barking. Don?t leave a howling dog unattended to bother the neighbors. Use a leash. Even if Spot is friendly, not everyone is an animal lover. Good pet-etiquette on your part helps ensure that the many RVers with pets are welcome at campgrounds.

stdog.gif

Eliminate pet peeves:   

Literally. Pick up after your pets. Stop excessive or extended barking. Don?t leave a howling dog unattended to bother the neighbors. Use a leash. Even if Spot is friendly, not everyone is an animal lover. Good pet-etiquette on your part helps ensure that the many RVers with pets are welcome at campgrounds.

stdog.gif

Well said!!  Don't be that inconsiderate pet owner that ruins it for the rest of us.

We camp with 3 pups and you know what - I hate barking dogs and coming across stray poo as much as the next person. 

3dog-tongue.gif

Eliminate pet peeves:   

stdog.gif

I was just about to post this!  I have to warn people that Drake is "super friendly" and to push him away if he get's too close!

OMGoodness..........did I ever want to spank some kids that night!!  UUGGHHHH!!  ;D

I can still see those kids faces when I told them "to move their asses or I WAS going to run them over!"  Poor Tay almost fell out of the cart!! LMAO  :argh:

I would have loved to have seen it!  I really wish the manager and security had actually done something about our complaints.  ;D