King Cupcake at Pop Century’s Food Court

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos..

Snack Series: King Cupcake at Pop Century’s Food Court

Sep 7th, 2012 by AJ.

So let me tell you a little secret… When we first reported about this cupcake I was SO jealous of everyone who got to try it! It looked either 1.) Amazing, or 2.) Disgusting…and I couldn’t wait to find out which it was!!

This “wow” cupcake was created at Disney’s Pop Century Resort in the Everything Pop Food Court. This food court has long been the home to some truly unique and incredible eats, so I figured this one would likely weigh on the “amazing” side of the coin. icon_wink.gif

And I was 100% correct!

Pop Century’s King Cupcake

The “King” Cupcake is a tribute to Elvis Presley. This makes sense in a place like Pop Century, which is devoted to celebrating all things pop culture from the 1950′s through the 1990′s.

When I headed inside, I check out the snazzy new digital menus, which featured some new desserts!

New-Dessert-Menu-600x358.jpg

New Dessert Menu - click image for larger version

But, of course, my eye came to rest on this beauty. I’d been told that they sold out of these quickly, so I’d visited late morning to be sure I got one!

It was just as pretty as I’d expected. For those who aren’t sure what the heck this cupcake is all about, here’s the list of attributes:

• Chocolate Cake
  • Peanut Butter Frosting
  • Banana Pudding Filling
  • Candied Bacon Garnish
  • Chocolate Drizzle

These flavors were, of course, the same ones you’d find in Elvis Presley’s favorite sandwich!

King-Cupcake-From-Front-530x625.jpg

King Cupcake From Front

As expected, from my very first bite I was wowed. You guys know what a fan I am of peanut butter frosting, and this was perfect. Not so heavy that it’s like slightly diluted fudge, but still substantial enough that it has that “stick to the roof of your mouth” quality you want in a peanut butter frosting.

The banana pudding filling was delicious, but I definitely wanted there to be more of this particular element. I didn’t get nearly as much banana flavor as I would have liked…

Cross-Section-553x625.jpg

Cross-Section of King Cupcake

And the bacon was a fantastic addition. Candied bacon is all the rage right now, and you can find it several places in Disney World. But I think I enjoy this use the best. It’s definitely not too sweet, and you’ll still get that punch of savory when you take a bite!

Close-up-of-Candied-Bacon-579x625.jpg

Close-Up of Candied Bacon

Overall, this cupcake was just what I wanted it to be. Clever, unique, and downright delicious. Kudos to the chefs who came up with this, and who keep coming up with interesting items at Pop Century. The resort has a theme that lends itself perfectly to innovative and creative eats, and I just hope they keep on churning them out!

Have you tried the King Cupcake at Pop Century? What are your thoughts about the bacon trend sweeping Disney World?

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/09/07/snack-series-king-cupcake-at-pop-centurys-food-court/