Banana Split at Starring Rolls Cafe, Disney’s Hollywood Studios

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Snack Series: Banana Split at Starring Rolls Cafe in Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Sep 7th, 2012 by AJ.

Everyone knows that Starring Rolls Cafe is one of my very favorite spots in all of Disney World. The concentration of unique treats there surpasses most other Disney World locations.

Even though the Cafe is teeny-tiny (no seating inside at all) there are some incredible eats to be had, including several of our favorite Disney Cupcakes!

Banana Split Dessert

But on a recent visit, I indulged in a few non-cupcake items! First, that incredible Napoleon I told you about last week, and second, this colorful treat…

Banana-Split-492x625.jpg

Banana Split

It’s called the “Banana Split,” but there’s nothing ice creamy or “split”-y about it. So I’m not really sure where the name comes from.

Granted, it does have a banana flavor, and it does have some chocolate-ness to it, so perhaps that’s it? Plus, they’ve topped it with a bunch of yellow goo…so maybe yellow goo = banana?

Banana-Split-close-up-529x625.jpg

Banana Split Close-Up

Anyway, I’d had my eye on this item for a while, and just wasn’t sure about it. What was it like? What was inside? Finally, my curiosity got the better of me and I snagged one. Here’s what it’s like inside:

Inside-banana-split-600x400.jpg

Inside the Banana Split

And I have to tell you, even after eating one I still can’t tell you what it’s supposed to be. The texture is pudding/mousse-like, and it has a banana flavor to it. But that crust is still an enigma. I think it’s supposed to be chocolate, but it didn’t have a strong chocolate taste to it.

The little brown flecks inside are, again — I think, chocolate as well. Here’s a way-too-graphic photo of them so that you can make the call for yourself… And that weird moisture in there? Yeah, I don’t know what that is, either.

Overall

All in all, I wasn’t wowed with this treat. The flavor was too static throughout, and the fact that I couldn’t figure out what most of the components were was a bit of a turn-off (I like to know what I’m eating…”Frosting!” “Pudding!” “Cheese!”…ya know?). And I’m not a fan of “goo” of any kind (see Key Lime Mousee at Flame Tree Barbecue review for more of my thoughts on hair-gel-esque dessert toppings), so that bright yellowness on top was even more of a downer for me.

So, if you’re snagging a treat at Starring Rolls, my suggestion is to go with one of the fantastic cupcakes or other treats and skip this banana craziness. icon_wink.gif

What are your favorite Starring Rolls Cafe items? Let us know in the comments below!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/09/07/snack-series-banana-split-at-starring-rolls-cafe-in-disneys-hollywood-studios/