Food and Wine Experiences 2012

We visited F&W today. Glad we didn't go to the soft opening. They still weren't very prepared for the crowds today. Several booths had IT trouble and could only take cash for awhile. Kind of irritating when I had just loaded my gift card so I wouldn't have to handle money. They seemed to fix it as quick as they could. New Zealand booth couldn't find their passport stamp when we went through. They had been open 2 hours at that point. It really started to get crowded after 1 pm, glad we were there early. The weather was hot but not rainy so it was a plus for us.

Lots of good new tastes on the menu, that's all we tried today. We'll go back another day for the old favorites.

Also there's a Ghiradelli shop in the marketplace giving out free chocolates like in DTD. If you have a Chase CC then you can enter the Chase lounge behind it and get some free sodas, coffee or tea and check out their Ipads and sit awhile.

A review from the Disney Food Blog. For those of you lucky Fiends there, don't forget to share yours too.

Terra Vegan Booth Review

Oct 1st, 2012 by AJ.

We’ve been hanging out at the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival so we can bring you updated pictures of all the terrific dishes that are available this year!

Today, let’s review one of the “brand new for 2012″ booths — Terra Vegan Marketplace!

Terra

All new for 2012, the Terra Marketplace offers an oasis for those with a vegan diet! The dishes here feature Gardein products — vegetable protein foods that provide an alternative to traditional meats.

Trick’n Chick’n Curry with Basmati Rice featuring Gardein Chick’n Breast

I was first struck by how good this smelled when it was on the grill/griddle at the back of the Terra booth! A very impressive start!

When I got my portion, it looked tasty — and it was. The flavors in the chick’n and in the curry sauce were impressive.

Trick%E2%80%99n-Chick%E2%80%99n-Curry-with-Basmati-Rice-featuring-Gardein-Chick%E2%80%99n-Breast-600x450.jpg

Trick’n Chick’n Curry with Basmati Rice featuring Gardein Chick’n Breast

Since I’m a meat-eater, I did notice a difference in taste and texture from a regular chicken breast; this reminds me of the frozen chicken nuggets you find in the refrigerated aisle of your grocery store.

Overall — I wouldn’t choose to put this on my dinner table every night, but if you’re unable to (or choose not to) eat meat, this is a good substitute.

Chili Colorado with House made Chips & Cashew Cheese

Also at the Terra booth, the Chili Colorado is another dish that smells great while being made! This one doesn’t taste as much like beef as the chick’n tastes like chick’n, though. The texture is much softer than beef, so be expecting that.

Chili-Colorado-with-House-made-Chips-Cashew-Cheese-featuring-Gardein-Beefless-Tips-.jpg

Chili Colorado with House made Chips & Cashew Cheese, featuring Gardein Beefless Tips

The house-made chips are the best part of this dish in my opinion, and while I tried to taste the cashew cheese on its own, I didn’t get too much flavor.

I’m eager to hear what you guys think of this!

Chocolate Cake with Passion Fruit Sorbet and Coconut Foam

This is the winner of the booth for me. It was not available for the first couple of days of the Festival, and I’m so glad I headed back to Terra to get it yesterday! It was Deeeeeeelicious! icon_smile.gif

Chocolate-Cake-with-Passion-Fruit-Sorbet-and-Coconut-Foam-Terra-468x625.jpg

Chocolate Cake with Passion Fruit Sorbet and Coconut Foam

A smooth, tart Passion Fruit sorbet was the star of the show here. And the chocolate cake was moist and flavorful.

Chocolate-Cake-with-Passion-Fruit-Sorbet-and-Coconut-Foam-Cross-Section-Terra-468x625.jpg

Chocolate Cake with Passion Fruit Sorbet and Coconut Foam - Cross Section

Silk Berry Smoothie

I was very disappointed in this “smoothie.” When I ordered it, I was expecting a thick, rich berry drink that you’d have to use a straw for. Nope.

Silk-Berry-Smoothie-Terra-518x625.jpg

Silk Berry Smoothie

Instead, this is literally a “Silk” brand berry drink straight out of a carton you could buy at your grocery store. It tastes good, but save yourself some money and get a carton on your way home.

You can see more pictures, the full menu, and prices on our Terra Booth Page!

Check out ALL of our updated food pictures on our Epcot Food and Wine Festival booth pages!

And if you’re headed to the Festival, snag our DFB Mini-Guide to the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival e-Book for a full schedule of events, touring strategies, tips and tricks, and a full section on the World Showcase booths this year!

Have you been Eating around the World at the Festival? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/01/epcot-food-and-wine-festival-food-pictures-terra-vegan-booth-review/

From the Disney Food Blog...

Epcot Food and Wine Festival Food Pictures and Review: Mexico and Germany Booths

Oct 4th, 2012 by AJ.

We’re back with another 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival booth review today with pictures from two more favorite spots: Mexico and Germany!

Looking for your other favorites? Check out our Epcot Food and Wine Festival Booth Pages!

Click on any booth or country name here for detailed information, menus, photos, and prices.

Mexico

This crowd favorite had some big menu changes in 2011 – and came out a winner! Many of the items from last year are back for 2012, and there are a couple of nice additions that I loved. Let’s take a look!

Mexico-500x749.jpg

With the popularity of Mexico’s La Cava del Tequila, we’re seeing the first introduction of tequila shots at the Food and Wine Festival (score!).

And while the Tequila Flight, featuring Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo Tequilas is a bit pricey, it’s a great presentation and a fun way to compare different tequilas alongside terrific eats! This was a winner for me!

Tequila-Flight-Tequila-Blanco-Reposado-and-Anejo-600x450.jpg

Tequila Flight: Tequila Blanco, Reposado and Anejo

I absolutely loved the ribeye taco last year, and this year’s Taco de Filete, featuring beef tenderloin and a medium-spicy Cascabel Pepper Sauce does not disappoint. The wilted scallion provides a nice punch of color and taste as well.

Taco-de-Filete-with-Cascabel-Pepper-Sauce-and-Scallions-Served-on-a-Flour-Tortilla-600x450.jpg

Taco de Filete with Cascabel Pepper Sauce and Scallions Served on a Flour Tortilla

The Crispy Shrimp Taco, back again from La Hacienda de San Angel restaurant, was a clear winner in 2011. It continues to impress this year with that punch of color and mix of textures!

Crispy-Shrimp-Taco-with-Chipotle-Lime-Mayo-and-Cabbage-Served-on-a-Flour-Tortilla-600x450.jpg

Crispy Shrimp Taco with Chipotle Lime Mayo and Cabbage Served on a Flour Tortilla

The Natilla de Cajeta is a lovely, rich flan made with cajeta, a Mexican delicacy similar to (but oh-so-much yummier than) sweetened condensed milk. This is a big portion comparatively, too, so it’s a good one to share.

Mexico-Caramel-Custard-600x471.jpg

Natilla de Cajeta (Caramel Custard Served with Sauce)

You can see more pictures, the full menu, and prices on our Mexico Booth Page!

Germany

A stop on the Festival trail at the Germany Booth is always a must-do! And getting to visit during Oktoberfest? Double points. The lines can be long here, though, so go early!

Germany1-500x333.jpg

German Marketplace at Epcot's Food and Wine Festival

In 2012, we welcome a new version of an old favorite: Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll. Add a little bit of mustard, and you have a fun “hot dog-esque” item. I enjoyed this offering, but the pretzel roll felt a bit stale to me.

Roast-Bratwurst-in-a-Pretzel-Roll-600x450.jpg

Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll

New to the Germany Marketplace this year is the Schinken Nudel, a pasta gratin made with ham and cheese. This is a twist on the ham and cheese spaetzel that’s been served in the past.

The construction of this layered dish is a bit like a casserole or a lasagna. It comes to you in a solid square — kind of weird, but easy to eat! The strong, sharp cheese flavor fits a grown-up palate, but the kids should like this, too, given its mac-and-cheese texture.

Schinken-Nudel-Pasta-Gratin-with-Ham-and-Cheese1-468x625.jpg

Schinken Nudel (Pasta Gratin with Ham and Cheese)

The always-popular Apple Strudel is once again accompanied by a Werther’s Original Karamel-Vanilla Sauce. Love it? Find the recipe here!

The flaky pastry and multiple flavors of vanilla, caramel, and apple make this a huge winner for me.

Apple-Strudel-with-Karamel-Vanilla-Sauce-600x450.jpg

Apple Strudel with Karamel-Vanilla Sauce

You can see more pictures, the full menu, and prices on our Germany Booth Page!

What are YOUR favorite dishes and sips so far at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival? Leave us a comment below and let us know!

And be sure to pop over to our Epcot Food and Wine Festival Menus for more pictures of all your favorite dishes!

Also, if you’re headed to the Festival, check out our DFB Mini-Guide to the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival e-Book for a full schedule of events, touring strategies, tips and tricks, and a full section on the World Showcase booths this year! Use code countdown for $3 off today!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/04/epcot-food-and-wine-festival-food-pictures-and-review-mexico-and-germany-booths/

More from the Disney Food Blog...

Epcot Food and Wine Festival Food Pictures and Review: Canada and Ireland Booths

Oct 3rd, 2012 by AJ.

Time to visit two of my most favorite booths — Canada and Ireland!

If you’d like to see full coverage of each Marketplace available at the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival, check out our Epcot Food and Wine Festival Booth Pages! Just click on any booth or country name and you’ll see detailed information, menus, photos, and prices.

Here we gooo!

Canada

I was super excited when I found out that Canada would be offering one of my favorite Le Cellier dishes of all time – the “Le Cellier” Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce!

Canada-Filet-with-Truffle-Butter-Sauce-600x426.jpg

Mushroom Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce

I was worried that it would be overdone, but not only was it perfectly cooked, there was actually plenty of truffle butter sauce! And that’s saying a lot, because I love it so much that I always order extra!

The much-loved Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta is back for 2012, with the addition of a sweet-savory onion jam made with Minus 8 gourmet vinegar. This is just as amazing as ever. But beware: it has a little kick to it!

Canada-Chicken-Sausage-600x400.jpg

Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta and “Minus 8″ Onion Jam

Finally, that famous Cheddar Cheese Soup is also back this year! This one remains a winner, though it can be heavy in this Florida heat!

Canadian-Cheddar-Cheese-Soup-600x450.jpg

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup

And we sampled the Apple Ice Wine this year. Apples? Ice Wine? What’s not to love? Remember, though, this is super sweet, and it’s served in a teeny tiny cup since ice wine is usually served in smaller portions than regular wine due to its sweetness and concentration.

Neige-Premi%C3%A8re-Apple-Ice-Wine-468x625.jpg

Apple Ice Wine

You can see more pictures, the full menu, and prices on our Canada Booth Page!

Ireland

I cannot pass the Ireland booth without getting Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Bailey’s Ganache. It’s still just as amazing this year as it has been the past several years. A must-do for any chocolate lover.

Ireland-Lava-Cake-600x446.jpg

Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Bailey’s Ganache

Also, the alcohol content and flavor isn’t strong, so no worries if you’re not necessarily a Bailey’s fan.

Ireland-Lava-Cake-2-600x400.jpg

Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Bailey’s Ganache - Cross Section

The Fisherman’s Pie is back in Ireland this year as well, and it’s still a winner for any seafood fan!

Lobster-and-Seafood-Fisherman%E2%80%99s-Pie-600x450.jpg

Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie

We tried the Kerrygold Cheese Selection again this year, and it’s still a decent option. The bread is quite hard, and the cheeses this year (Aged-Irish Cheddar, Dubliner, and Cashel Blue with Apple) are good choices, though the Dubliner and Cheddar are very similar.

Cheese-Selection-600x450.jpg

Kerrygold® Cheese Selection: Aged-Irish Cheddar, Dubliner and Cashel Blue with Apple Chutney and Brown Bread

You can see more pictures, the full menu, and prices on our Ireland Booth Page!

Tell us what YOU’RE loving at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival in the comments below!

And feel free to check out more food pictures on our Epcot Food and Wine Festival booth pages. You’ll find lots more pictures, plus complete menus and pricing for every item available in the 2012 Marketplace Booths!

Also, if you’re headed to the Festival, check out our DFB Mini-Guide to the 2011 Epcot Food and Wine Festival e-Book for a full schedule of events, touring strategies, tips and tricks, and a full section on the World Showcase booths this year!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/03/epcot-food-and-wine-festival-food-pictures-and-review-canada-and-ireland-booths/

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of the Florida Local booth...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/05/epcot-food-and-wine-festival-pictures-and-review-florida-local-booth/

Excerpted from the article...

First up — the Florida Shrimp Ceviche with Fire Roasted Vegetables, Fried Plantains, and Cilantro.

This is a fan favorite already (I keep overhearing people say “where’s that ceviche?” when I’m wandering the festival)!

While the festival had ceviche a couple of years ago at a different booth, this option seems like a fresher take on the dish. I loved the addition of fried plantains!

Florida-Shrimp-Ceviche-with-Fire-Roasted-Vegetables-Fried-Plantains-and-Cilantro-468x625.jpg

Florida Shrimp Ceviche with Fire Roasted Vegetables, Fried Plantains and Cilantro

Next, the White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad is an interesting dish. I didn’t love the texture of the

Arepa (too mushy for my taste — similar texture to a tamale), but the pork was fantastic! The corn salad offers a tang to the flavor profile, so be expecting it!

White-Corn-Arepa-with-Mangalitsa-Pork-Rilette-and-Zellwood-Sweet-Corn-Salad-600x450.jpg

White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad

The Florida Orange Grove Key Limen wine is definitely my new favorite, though! I thought this sweet, fun flavor was top notch! Definitely heading back for more of this one!

White-Corn-Arepa-with-Mangalitsa-Pork-Rilette-and-Zellwood-Sweet-Corn-Salad-with-Key-Limen-600x450.jpg

White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad with Florida Orange Grove Key Limen

The Disney Food Blog just posted a review of the Japan and Hops & Barley Booths...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/08/epcot-food-wine-festival-food-pictures-and-review-japan-and-hops-barley-booths/

A few excerpts from the article...

This year’s menu has several new items to sample. Anything featuring tuna is always a hit, and I predict that the Spicy Hand Roll with Tuna and Salmon this year will continue that tradition.

Spicy-Hand-Roll-Tuna-Salmon-with-Chili-Pepper-Soy-Sauce-Sesame-Oil-Topped-with-Kazan-Volcano-Sauce1-468x625.jpg

Spicy Hand Roll (Tuna & Salmon with Chili Pepper, Soy Sauce & Sesame Oil Topped with Kazan Volcano Sauce)

For folks who like the idea of sushi, but not so much the idea of raw fish, there’s a brand new roll featuring chicken: Crispy Chicken Breast with Sushi Rice and Spicy Mayonnaise. The chicken is cooked in a tempura fashion, and I’ll admit that mine was more soggy/seaweed-y than crispy.

Karaage-Hand-Roll-Crispy-Chicken-Breast-with-Sushi-Rice-and-Spicy-Mayonnaise2-468x625.jpg

Karaage Hand Roll (Crispy Chicken Breast with Sushi Rice and Spicy Mayonnaise)

Of course, there must be a California Roll for sushi purists! (Well, American sushi purists, anyway.) And this one is usually a hot seller (it’s one of the only items that’s back from previous years at the festival).

California-Roll-Avocado-Cucumber-Crab-Mayonnaise-Smelt-Roe-Rolled-in-Sushi-Rice-and-Seaweed-600x450.jpg

California Roll (Avocado, Cucumber, Crab, Mayonnaise, Smelt Roe Rolled in Sushi Rice and Seaweed)

But for me, the real winner of the Japan Booth this year is the brand new Sukiyaki Beef Pan! I was really impressed with the flavor here. So much so that it made my list of Top New Epcot Food and Wine Festival Items!

Beef-from-Japan-600x510.jpg

Sukiyaki Beef Pan from Japan

Hops & Barley

In the Hops & Barley Booth, which also offers a wonderful selection of Samuel Adams beer, you find fantastic Maine seafood dishes that won’t break the bank.

To begin, there’s a new addition this year — Linda Bean’s® Maine Home Style Clam Chowder. this traditional chowder is thick with vegetables offering a nice balanced flavor.

Linda-Bean%E2%80%99s%C2%AE-Maine-Home-Style-Clam-Chowder-600x450.jpg

Linda Bean’s® Maine Home Style Clam Chowder

And you can’t come all this way without sampling Linda Bean’s® Perfect Maine Lobster Roll®.

Linda-Bean%E2%80%99s%C2%AE-Perfect-Maine-Lobster-Roll-600x450.jpg

Linda Bean’s® Perfect Maine Lobster Roll®

Bean’s company, Linda Bean’s Maine Lobster, also offers the convenient Lobster Claw Cuddlers®. These are Maine lobster claws, pre-cracked for easy eating (though I still had a hard time figuring out how to get into it)!

Linda-Bean%E2%80%99s-Lobster-Claw-Cuddler-Chilled-with-Herb-Mayonnaise-600x450.jpg

Linda Bean’s® Lobster Claw Cuddler® Chilled with Herb Mayonnaise

• 2 weeks later...

Disney Food Blog has reviewed Australia and China booths...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/19/epcot-food-wine-festival-food-pictures-and-review-australia-and-china-booths/

A few excerpts...

China-Menu-468x625.jpg

2012 China Marketplace Booth Menu -- Click to Enlarge

First up — making its debut in 2012 is the Mongolian Beef with Chinese Steamed Bun. The stir-fried beef had excellent flavor from the traditional vegetables, and I really loved the creamy sauce.

Mongolian-Beef-with-Chinese-Steamed-Bun-600x450.jpg

Mongolian Beef with Chinese Steamed Bun

Pork Pot Stickers were an item that stuck around from the past few years. I imagine there would be a revolt if you tried to have a China booth with no pot stickers!

Pork-Pot-Stickers-600x450.jpg

Pork Pot Stickers

To be honest, these are not the best pot stickers I’ve ever had, but the portion size is good, and the sweet dipping sauce was a nice addition.

Last year’s Xinjiang Barbecue Chicken Stick has been replaced by Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce and Pickled Vegetables. In this pic, it doesn’t look like the satay comes on a stick, but I found out the hard way that…it does. Ouch!

The flavor here is good, and the pickled vegetables offer a nice taste and texture contrast.

Chicken-Satay-with-Spicy-Peanut-Sauce-and-Pickled-Vegetables-600x450.jpg

Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce and Pickled Vegetables

The Mango Tapioca Pudding is new this year — and very pretty! I’m a big tapioca pudding fan (my parents used to get it for us and call it “fish eyes in glue,” and what kid wouldn’t love that?!), so I was excited to see this on the menu. It was an enjoyable dish, as well — mix up the mango flavor into the tapioca!

Mango-Tapioca-Pudding-468x625.jpg

Mango Tapioca Pudding

Australia-Menu-468x625.jpg

2012 Australia Marketplace Booth Menu -- Click to Enlarge

The Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies is just gorgeous, isn’t it?

Grilled-Lamb-Chop-with-Mint-Pesto-and-Potato-Crunchies-600x450.jpg

Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies

Gone are the goat cheese salad and Shiraz reduction from last year’s menu, but the pesto and potato crunchies make for interesting flavors and textures.

My lamb chop was cooked expertly, and the pesto and potato crunchies (which are really just crushed up salt and vinegar potato chips it seems to me!) were awesome!

I was thrilled to see the Shrimp on the Barbie with Pepper Berry Citrus Glaze back in 2012! This dish was one of my surprise favorites last year because of the delightfully spicy sauce. The shrimp are cooked to perfection as well.

Shrimp-on-the-Barbie-with-Pepper-Berry-Citrus-Glaze-600x450.jpg

Shrimp on the Barbie with Pepper Berry Citrus Glaze

And with what is quite possibly one of the best cakes ever, the Lamington scores big as the featured dessert.

Lamington-600x450.jpg

Lamington

These little dessert cakes are enjoying quite the renaissance in pastry circles. Moist sponge cake is covered with chocolate ganache and sprinkled with coconut to make this delightful bite. There’s a pretty good chance that you won’t want to share!

• 2 weeks later...

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of the Tequila Pairing Lunch at La Hacienda de San Angel, part of the special experiences offered during the 2012 Epcot Food and Wine Festival...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/27/epcot-food-and-wine-festival-review-tequila-pairing-lunch-at-la-hacienda-de-san-angel/

A few excerpts...

Menu-La-Hacienda-Tequila-Lunch-Pairing-412x625.jpg

Menu for Luncheon -- Click to Enlarge

Rosita-Margarita-was-given-to-guests-as-they-walked-in-La-Hacienda-Tequila-Lunch-Pairing-588x625.jpg

Rose Margarita, The Opening Cocktail

Grilled-Scallop-La-Hacienda-Tequila-Lunch-Pairing-488x625.jpg

Grilled Scallop with Chile de Arbol Foam and Huitlacoche Mushroom

taco-des-carnitas-La-Hacienda-Tequila-Lunch-Pairing-600x545.jpg

Mini Pork Taco with Spicy Salsa Verde

corvina-and-arrachera-La-Hacienda-Tequila-Lunch-Pairing-600x420.jpg

Corvina with Plantain Puree and Tres Chiles Sauce and New York Steak Served with Esquites and Chile Ancho Sauce

merengue-La-Hacienda-Tequila-Lunch-Pairing-600x400.jpg

Merengue with Tropical Fruits and Cajeta Caramel Sauce