Cooke's of Dublin - Downtown Disney

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of one of my favorite counter service locations at Walt Disney World - Cooke's of Dublin at Downtown Disney...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/14/review-cookes-of-dublin-in-downtown-disney/

A few excerpts...

Be sure to click on the menu below and make the pic bigger so you can read about all the really interesting options here.

Menu-1-cookes-of-dublin-600x265.jpg

Cookes of Dublin Menu - Click to Enlarge

The kids’ menu features some grown-up dishes, which is nice. Shrimp, fish, and battered sausages bring the Cookes theme to the kiddos, too. But no worries — there are things here for the picky eaters.

kids-menu-cookes-of-dublin-374x625.jpg

Kid's Menu - Click to Enlarge

Wondering what they were, I ordered the Skinny Chips thinking that they’d be a “good for you” option. Turns out (duh, AJ) they’re just “skinny” french fries compared to the thicker cut chips that come standard with your entree.

Skinny-Chips-cookes-of-dublin-600x400.jpg

Garlic and Parmesan Skinny Chips

But it was a lucky mistake, because these were outrageously good. When I was there, they came in this delicious Garlic and Parmesan version, but according to the Cookes website, they also come with Thyme and Rock Salt now as well. More goodness to look forward to!

And with extra chips, I certainly needed some dip, right? I couldn’t resist the Irish Vintage Cheese and Bacon Dip.

Irish-Cheese-and-Bacon-Dip-cookes-of-dublin-600x400.jpg

Irish Vintage Cheese and Bacon Dip

I loved this cheese and bacon dip so much that I actually shared it with you in an earlier post – and was inspired to create a whole new series of DFB Must Have eats because of it!

Moving on to the actual entrees, I picked out a couple that I knew you’d want to see! (If you’re curious about the savory pies, be sure to read this guest review of dinner that included one!)

First up, The Original One & One – Fish and Chips is what Cookes is known for.

fish-and-chips-1-cookes-of-dublin-496x625.jpg

The Original One & One Fish and Chips

And they are amazing. Everything is so fresh, and served piping hot. The chips are that perfect texture. Not too crunchy, not too limp. They’ve got just enough oil left in them to make them soft and tender.

The fish is firm but flaky, and very fresh. The batter’s top notch. I think you’ll enjoy this even if you aren’t a big fish fan.

The other thing that I simply had to check out was the Battered Burger! I’d heard about it and I really wanted to see what it looked like, so I figured you would, too. It sounded so decadent…

battered-burger-and-chips-cookes-of-dublin-600x400.jpg

Battered Burger and Chips

And it was. Basically, this is a standard burger that’s dipped in batter and fried, then served as normal with some condiments and sauces.

I think I expected something a bit thicker and juicer, and the patty was a bit overdone for my liking, but I like the concept of this dish. I’d rank it a 6 out of 10 on flavor, but an 8 out of 10 on concept!

There were some really great things about the sandwich, though. The bun was amazing. Clearly fresh-baked, it was soft on the inside with a perfect crust outside.

And the garlic mayonnaise and flavorful tomato chutney – the same that you’ll find on Raglan Road’s cheeseburger – really elevate the sandwich.