Standing water at the campsites

I was at the fort looping the other day (by way of shanta's google earth  :)) ) and now I have a question. Are there some loops that have more standing water than others? Is it a huge problem or does it just look a little worse than it is? I guess it really doesn't matter, I would step out of my camper and hop in a canoe for a chance to enjoy the fort.  :rofl2:  Also someone mentioned something about biting flies one time. Can someone tell me when they are bad?  :-\  Thanks again.

Gina

May and June are the worst months for yellow flies.  I was bitten June of 2008 on  my foot and my foot swelled so bad it hurt to walk.  Then May/June of 2009 was really bad for yellow flies.  I was bitten so bad, they became infected I felt so sick and ran a fever.  I went to the urgent care clinic and they gave me a shot of Rosephin (sp).  I will NOT go to the Fort in May or June ever again.

Take a can of lysol spray (the original kind) and spray on any yellow fly bites, takes a little of the sting away. DON'T SCRATCH that makes then way worse. You might want to take some benadryl just in case anyone is real sensitive to them. My daddy always said that yellow flies came from blackberries that ripened and fell of the briar bush, because that's when they come around here.

Oh no! our trip is scheduled for April 28th- may 15th. Maybe we will catch a break since it is the beginning  of may. I hate biting bugs!

You should be ok, they are really bad right around the time you are leaving.  Like Bob's boss, I am refusing to go during the May and June months again.  My reservation for July 4th will not start until the 27th just because of those blood suckers.  (yes, they suck your blood)  I remember Angie smashing a bunch of them last year on the side of her camper and wiping blood off with the guts. My son and I still have white scars on our legs from those things from last year.  The water has nothing to do with them.  The horses do.  They are attracted to MAMMALS!  So, the 1900 loop is out, along with the 1700 loop during those months.  Also, the 700, 400, 100, 200 loops are also out because they are near the old petting zoo and where they keep the horses in the front. 

If you are talking about standing water, 1900 is definitely a place you just don't want to be.  I went through there today and they were actually REBUILDING a whole site because it fell in.  Yes, the sides fell into the swamp.  The drop offs there are horrible and it fills up fast with water.  1800 is right behind it too.

I hope this helps.

The standing water in some of the loops has been there for quite a while, it mostly was unseen due to all the brush that has now been cut back. I have noticed that they are filling those areas with sand a little at a time. If you look in most of those low areas, you will see the cypress knees sticking up fairly high.