I think that there are different kinds of fast passes.  There are the regular ones that are good between certain times and then there are the ones that you get from CMs (like if a ride breaks down or you just look like you could use a break  ;) ) The ones from a CM can be used over a longer period of time.  We got one for Maelstrom after a breakdown that was good for the rest of our stay.  We never made it back though...

I don't think it's official "policy" (although it might be) but you can generally use your regular FPs later in the same day, after your return window.  It's rare that anyone reports not being able to do this, and from what I've read it's generally at the discretion of the ride manager if they decide not to allow this.  Exceptions tend to take place during really busy times.

We've done this ourselves and never had a problem.

However keep in mind that while you can generally use a FP after your window, it's a safe bet that you won't be allowed to ever use one before the opening of your return window.  We once had to stand there and wait for the clock to click over one minute before the CM would let us in the FP line.

The following is the official WDW explanation of the standard FASTPASS.

When approaching an attraction offering a FASTPASS, you will see signs for three lines:  FASTPASS Distribution, FASTPASS Entrance, Stand-by Entrance

Decide whether to use FASTPASS or wait in the stand-by line. To help make this decision, a clock showing the current FASTPASS return time AND the current wait time will be available. Choosing FASTPASS, you will approach the FASTPASS Distribution turnstiles and insert your theme park ticket.  A FASTPASS will be generated, saving you an automatic place in line at a future time that day.  You will be given a one-hour period within which to return and experience the attraction without waiting in the stand-by line.  This will allow you the flexibility to experience other activities in the park.

In general, the return time should be about the same or slightly longer than the typical wait time for that attraction. To give you flexibility in your schedule, you will have a one-hour window of time during which to return.

When you return, you will go to the FASTPAST Return entrance and hop on the attraction with little or no waiting.

When ready to get another FASTPAST just look on the bottom of your current FASTPASS Ticket to find out when it will be available.

I understand the policy generally but I kept reading on other forums and from people who go often that you can end up with multiple fast passes and I was wondering how can this be? If I FP ride #1 and the window hasn't come around how can I get FP for ride #2 before I use ride #1 FP? I read the trip reports and it sounds like this is a common occurence  so I wondered if I understand all the ins and outs of making the system work for me.

You can obtain your next set of fastpasses if 1 of 2 things has happened, either the window time for the first fast pass has begun or it has been 2 hours since you acquired your last fastpass.  For example, you head to Magic Kingdom and grab FPs for Space Mountain at 9:07 and the return time is 9:40 to 10:40.  You are then able to get another fast pass for either Space Mountain or another fastpass location at 9:40.  However say you get to SM and grab a fastpass at 9:10 and the return time is 1:25pm, you would be able to get your 2nd set of FPs for either SM or another location at 11:10 because 2 hours have passed.

Like BradyBz12 said, people are allowed to use FPs after their return time but not before.  So like before, if you grab a Space Mountain FP at park entry and then go off to Fantasyand and miss your return time because you are in another part of the park or eating or something you can almost always return with the "expired" fastpass as long as it's the same day it was issued.  We've done this a few times and never had an issue.

You can get another FP after one hour.

WDW FASTPASS FAQ

Question

Can a guest get a Disney?s FASTPASS ticket for more than one attraction at a time?

Answer

Guests may use their current FASTPASS ticket or wait until the time on the bottom of their current ticket that tells you when your next FASTPASS is available for a different attraction.

I understand that the "intent" of the FP is that it be used during the return time posted on the FP. I believe that there is some flexibility given to the CM's due to the fact that people have ADR's, ride breakdowns, etc. From personal experience at the Toy Story Mania FP machines; when I got in line the return time was great, but it changed rapidly while I was in line and when I got my FP it gave times that were going to be during my lunch at Sci Fi. The CM said it was no problem to come after we ate.

Some people do take advantage of this flexibility to build-up FP's and use them all in the afternoon/evening. Is this allowed? It appears as if the answer is "yes." Is it "right?" that is up to you!! I am not the Fort Fiends PoPo! :beer: :rofl2: :doublebeer: