Italian Potato Skins

Italian Potato Skins

italian-potato-skinsTSRI.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Happy Hump Day!  Today we are celebrating Wednesday with our “The Happy Hour”.  Every Wednesday I will be bringing you dishes that you may order during happy hour, hors d'oeuvres and antipasti/appetizers.  All with a touch of The Slow Roasted Italian.

When I was thinking of a dish for today’s “The Happy Hour” here at The Slow Roasted Italian I asked Mr. W what he thought sounded good.  He came up with potato skins.  Imagine that…  Midwest meat and potatoes man thinks ‘potato skins’ are a great happy hour dish.  Well, being the accommodating wife that I am {{{hehehe}}}  I agreed that potato skins would be good,  but I didn’t want to do plain old potato skins that have been done a thousand times before.   So, I put The Slow Roasted Italian spin on them. 

I started out with the standard potato skin and brushed it with a flavorful spice blend and olive oil.  Packed it with Italian cheese, sausage and sun-dried tomatoes and topped it with more cheese and basil leaves, served with a side or marinara and a side of sour cream.  These are absolutely incredible.  Buon Appetito!

Looking for more antipasti/appetizers?  Check out "The Happy Hour" category.

italian-potato-skins-plated.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

Original recipe from The Slow Roasted Italian

Italian Potato Skins
6 Medium Russett Potatoes
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 cup Italian cheese blend, divided
1/3 cup Sun dried tomatoes, diced
1 pound Spicy Italian sausage (I used chicken sausage)
6 Fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
Sour Cream, to serve on the side
Marinara, to serve on the side

Preheat oven to 350°.

Clean potatoes with a vegetable brush.  Place potatoes on middle rack until fork tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.  

Turn oven to 450°.

While they are cooling, combine olive oil and smashed garlic in a small bowl.  Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.  Remove the garlic cloves and add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  Stir until combined.  Set aside.

garlic-olive-oil.jpg
tsri-pin2.png
olive-oil-mixture.jpg

Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise, and spoon out the flesh, leaving about a ¼-½” shell.  Brush olive oil mixture over top and bottoms of potatoes.  Place on an oiled baking sheet in oven for 10-12 minutes until potato skins are firm.

cut-potato-skins.jpgbrushed-potato-skins.jpg

In a medium skillet over medium high heat cook sausage.  Drain.  Place in bowl immediately add sun-dried tomatoes and ½ cup cheese.  Stir well to combine.

sausage-cheese-and-tomato.jpgsausage-mixture.jpg

Remove potatoes from oven when done and scoop sausage mixture into potatoes evenly.  Add remaining cheese over top of potatoes.

loaded-potato-skins.jpgpotato-skins-baked.jpg

Return to oven to cook for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil.

Plate and serve with a bowl of sour cream and a bowl of marinara sauce. 

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2011/08/italian-potato-skins-happy-hour.html