Bacon, Jalapeno and Cheddar Mac and Cheese

bacon, cheddar & jalapeno mac ‘n cheese

By comfortablefood, 05/10/2013

bacon-mac-n-cheese-wm-210x150.jpg
  • Yield: serves 4 people for dinner, more as a side
Ingredients: Instructions:
  • Pre heat your oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a medium baking dish. (I used a large pie pan)
  • Melt 2 tbsp of the butter and in a small bowl toss it with the bread pieces then set aside.
  • Cook the bacon in a heavy bottomed pot.   When cooked, remove it to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
  • Remove most of the bacon grease from the pot, but leave any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
  • Add the 4 tbsp butter and jalapeno and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, scraping up the bacon bits.
  • Whisk in the flour, and cook - whisking constantly - for about 3 minutes.
  • Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and just about to simmer - about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
  • Generously add salt and pepper and stir in the white cheddar and two cups of the sharp cheddar - stir until melted, then fold in the pasta.
  • Pour the pasta into the prepared dish, toss the bread pieces with the remaining 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar and spread over the top.
  • Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, until bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.

http://comfortablefood.com/bacon-cheddar-mac-n-cheese/

Sounds yummy but I'd have to leave out the jalapenos (love heat but not the flavor). I'm making mac n cheese today actually. I saute some finely chopped onion in butter until soft, add some bacon, cream, and cheeses and mix it with the pasta. It's really good (never any leftovers). :D