With Christmas being on a Wednesday this year, our local schools will have a 2 1/2 week break. While Disney is not in the cards this year, we are thinking of head at least a little south between Christmas and New Year.

What is the weather like that time of year in the area and what is still open for things to do since it is not tourist season?

It depends, one year it snowed on Christmas day!  Not usually the case but it is usually chilly, 50's during the day.  I live about 2 hours from MB and my grandparents retired there for 10 years.  There is always stuff to do and I enjoy the slower pace.

It's pretty slow that time of year, but not completely dead. I prefer to go up there then since I can't handle the summer crowds. Usually ocean blvd is deserted and so are the hotels. I would imagine, though, that some folks will be around that week for the holiday. Either way, if you're used to going in the summer it will be hard to recognize the place.

We went to Myrtle between Thanksgiving and Christmas a few years ago.  Very low crowds, so it was nice for shopping.  OTOH, it was cold for swimming.  Not that we didn't, but it was very cold.

Just a comment on the snow - remember that snow is a big thing in SC.  Because we don't get much of it, the towns don't own any snowplows.  That means when it snows, everything closes.  Some people do drive on the unplowed roads, but they have little to no experience driving in snow and there are many wrecks.

If I were at a resort in Myrtle when there was snow, I would expect very few of the staff to come into work and the restaurants to be closed. 

BUT, the chance of snow that time of year is very remote.  I guess I am just saying, if you do make plans to spend Christmas there and then there are predictions of snow, I would strongly urge you to make other plans.