First Time at the Fort - June 2013

I have been a total slacker! I started this trip report and never even finished it. I don't remember too many more details from this trip. I do remember the big storm that TCD mentioned. We were at an RV dealership about 20 miles from the Fort, looking at Roadtrek motor homes. Kenneth had read a lot about these and really wanted to see one in person. I don't think there's really anywhere close to home, that sells these. Same with Airstreams (my love) - we usually look at them, whenever we vacation in Florida.

It was looking pretty bad, the closer we got to the dealership. We got there and the bottom fell out. It was a BAD storm. Lots of thunder, lightning, and rain. We had to hunker down in the dealership, until it passed. I started to get really nervous about our tent and the gazebo we had there. We had staked and tied down the tent pretty well, but the gazebo just had the cheap stakes that came with it. We just knew that was a goner. When we got back to the Fort, things were looking pretty rough. We pulled up to our site, and it looked like a storm hadn't even passed through......until we got inside. We had gotten accustomed to leaving the back part of our rain fly open, to keep some air flowing through the tent. Well, this storm must have had some sideways rain. We had a puddle in the back of the tent and our comforter on that side was soaked! We got it all cleaned up in a few minutes and everything was fine. We were really lucky that nothing got damaged during that storm!

It took us a while to get packed up to head home. There were some parts of the tent that were wet, so we wiped it all down and got it in the sun. After we got everything in the truck, we headed over to Best Friends to get the pups. They slept most of the way home.

Our plan was to head back to the Fort in January 2014. We waited too long to try to get a campsite and couldn't get the whole week. We didn't want to risk making more than one reservation and having to move to a different site halfway through, because that would be a pain with a tent. I've since learned from some of y'all about trying to book a longer stay and then dropping the days we don't need. That sounded crazy to me, but it looked like it would work. Before I knew about this, we had already used our vacation club to book a room at Saratoga Springs, so we now have a place to stay. I checked yesterday and I can get a site, at the Fort, for the week we need (next week, the 14th - 21st). We may try again for next January, and actually plan things a little bit better.

So, Tuesday, we head back down to Disney. I think we will make a trip over to the Fort, even though we won't be staying there.

It took us a while to get packed up to head home. There were some parts of the tent that were wet, so we wiped it all down and got it in the sun. After we got everything in the truck, we headed over to Best Friends to get the pups. They slept most of the way home. Our plan was to head back to the Fort in January 2014. We waited too long to try to get a campsite and couldn't get the whole week. We didn't want to risk making more than one reservation and having to move to a different site halfway through, because that would be a pain with a tent. I've since learned from some of y'all about trying to book a longer stay and then dropping the days we don't need. That sounded crazy to me, but it looked like it would work. Before I knew about this, we had already used our vacation club to book a room at Saratoga Springs, so we now have a place to stay. I checked yesterday and I can get a site, at the Fort, for the week we need (next week, the 14th - 21st). We may try again for next January, and actually plan things a little bit better. So, Tuesday, we head back down to Disney. I think we will make a trip over to the Fort, even though we won't be staying there.

Please come over to the Fort and visit all the Wild Womenz!!  There will be lots of us there in about 4 sites in the full hookup loops

It took us a while to get packed up to head home. There were some parts of the tent that were wet, so we wiped it all down and got it in the sun. After we got everything in the truck, we headed over to Best Friends to get the pups. They slept most of the way home. Our plan was to head back to the Fort in January 2014. We waited too long to try to get a campsite and couldn't get the whole week. We didn't want to risk making more than one reservation and having to move to a different site halfway through, because that would be a pain with a tent. I've since learned from some of y'all about trying to book a longer stay and then dropping the days we don't need. That sounded crazy to me, but it looked like it would work. Before I knew about this, we had already used our vacation club to book a room at Saratoga Springs, so we now have a place to stay. I checked yesterday and I can get a site, at the Fort, for the week we need (next week, the 14th - 21st). We may try again for next January, and actually plan things a little bit better. So, Tuesday, we head back down to Disney. I think we will make a trip over to the Fort, even though we won't be staying there.

Please come over to the Fort and visit all the Wild Womenz!!  There will be lots of us there in about 4 sites in the full hookup loops

Sounds good....we might try to head over and find y'all.....if we don't see you, we hope you have a good time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The picture of how roomy that tent looks from the inside almost had me convinced we could try tent camping.  But when you mentioned it being wet when you were packing it up I pictured rain on our last day and a soggy tent,soggy people for the 20+ hour drive home.. 

I have a friend that does not want to vaca and leave her dog at home, I am trying to sell her on trying  Best Friends!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...