Have you ever used a heater in your tent?

We have a dual control mattress pad on our bed at home. One night, I was hot so I turned my side down. An hour later, I was still hot so I turned my side down. A little later, I was dying it was so hot, so I turned my side off but it didn't do any good. The next day my wife said "last night I was freezing and that darn mattress pad must be broken. I kept turning it up but it just got colder." Sure enough, I checked and she had put her control on my side and my control on her side.

Now that's funny :rofl2:  :rofl2: :rofl2:  

• 4 weeks later...

The heated mattress pad works great and eliminates needing to put something under the mattress to insulate you from the cooling effect form the ground. An electric heater is ok for knocking the chill out of the air on cool nights, but it virtually useless on cold nights. One of those quartz radiant heaters works better, but only the side facing it gets warm. I wish they made one that you could hang from the tent ceiling to radiate down,but they don't.

For cold weather when I camp (usually with a Boy Scout troop), I have one of those Mr. Heater propane heaters that has the ceramic grills that glow hot. These are designed to shut off if the oxygen level drops. I bought the bigger one that has two ceramic grills and holds two propane bottles, but I only have to use it on the low setting, which only heats one of the ceramic grills, which can heat my Coleman instant tent in weather down to the teens.

I still leave a window cracked open to help vent moisture out. If you have electricity, a small fan will help circulate the heated air around. The heater has a built in fan, but it is very small.

We have a dual control mattress pad on our bed at home. One night, I was hot so I turned my side down. An hour later, I was still hot so I turned my side down. A little later, I was dying it was so hot, so I turned my side off but it didn't do any good. The next day my wife said "last night I was freezing and that darn mattress pad must be broken. I kept turning it up but it just got colder." Sure enough, I checked and she had put her control on my side and my control on her side.

HAH ! That's hilarious.

During the coldest nights last NY week (there were some nights in the 30s IIRC) we used our little wooden box infrared heater inside the tent, but only in the morning when we were awake and getting ready.  We would never leave it plugged in or turned on while sleeping or away from the campsite.  My husband would turn it on and let the tent heat up while he fixed his coffee before waking the rest of us up.  It actually warmed the tent quite a bit for the hour or so we had it running.

We also took electric blankets and we did keep those plugged in and turned on for the colder nights.