The rolling issue is why I never disconnect the safety chains until I am sure the trailer is happy. As for moving the trailer we allways pushed our enclosed trailer into the site loaded at around #3000 but it was a single axle now that it is a tandem I am building one of these to move it.

4081292714_0f9759af3f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Shan, the biggest thing I will tell you, you will NEVER be able to turn a tandem axle trailer around, you may be able to push it back and forth, but you will not be able to slide the tires to make a turn.  I have had more trailers than I can count, from lawnmower trailers to 53' gooseneck car trailers, and I could not even turn a 16' landscape trailer I had by hand because of the tandem axles.

Seriously, unless your driveway is on I-4, just have Mrs. Clause grab a flag and hop out right before your driveway, and stop traffic for one second while you back it in.  Don't let a little thing like worrying about a few inconvenienced motorists determine what TT you will live with for a long time, do you really want to be stuffed in a tiny TT at the Fort, thinking man, I wish I would have gotten the trailer I liked and just backed it into my drive... LOL  :dance:

+1

We have a 18' boat on a tandem trailer.  The whole thing might weigh 2200lbs and it's almost impossible to make any sort of turn (even on cement which slips more than pavement and with 3 or 4 people). 

Also moving a trailer on flat isn't too bad but if you have any sort of curb or incline on your driveway, it's real hard to make it up.  Also, once you get the thing moving, you have to stop it somehow.

Take JohnnyB's advice and use your car.  If it's also that you don't feel that comfortable backing and maneuvering into your driveway (I'm the first to admit that I'm TERRIBLE at it.  I usually get my wife to do it and if she's not around, I keep having to redo it and it takes me forever), take someone else's advice and get a front mounted hitch - a friend had one and I couldn't believe how easy it made it.