Ok guys, here's an odd one. How big of a TT can you move by hand? I am considering a TT but don't have the room to turn it around in my drive with the truck attached, and my street is too busy to attempt to back up the drive. I know there are dollys available to assist with the task, but just how much is too much? My drive has a fairly large, flat turnaround, so there should be no real risk of it getting away from me. I think a 24' TT would probably be about the size we'd be interested in. TIA!

ShantaClausSm.png

I have seen some folks put a hitch on the front of their tow vehicle so they could push their unit in instead of backing this could be an option just don't know if you would like that. Plus the reciever could bu used to carry bikes also or anything that uses that type of system. Just a thought. I have heard some folks think it's easier to push and watch then try to back up. I think I would lean towards the use of a dolly

When I had a pop-up w/ 12 ft box I used a Harbor Freight hand dolly that had a tow ball and two big tires.  Worked great on flat pavement but anything else was a no-go.....

Like the suggestion of the power mower, I have seen those used with a tow ball to move trailers around.

:toiletreading: :partythree: :doublebeer: :thewave1: :highfive:

Any size travel trailer with the exception of the small A-Liner types is going to be very tongue heavy with the weight of the battery and propane tanks and the fact the center of gravity is forward of the wheels. If you are really strong and have a fairly level area to move the trailer, you might be able to move it with a powered dolly or lawn tractor. I would never try to do this by hand with one of the two wheel dollys I've seen. The arm on them pops up real fast if the load gets a bit off kilter. I used to have a 24' TT and it would have been impossible for me to move it without the truck.

My take would be to simply upset the traffic long enough to get it backed in.

Shan, the biggest thing I will tell you, you will NEVER be able to turn a tandem axle trailer around, you may be able to push it back and forth, but you will not be able to slide the tires to make a turn.  I have had more trailers than I can count, from lawnmower trailers to 53' gooseneck car trailers, and I could not even turn a 16' landscape trailer I had by hand because of the tandem axles.

Seriously, unless your driveway is on I-4, just have Mrs. Clause grab a flag and hop out right before your driveway, and stop traffic for one second while you back it in.  Don't let a little thing like worrying about a few inconvenienced motorists determine what TT you will live with for a long time, do you really want to be stuffed in a tiny TT at the Fort, thinking man, I wish I would have gotten the trailer I liked and just backed it into my drive... LOL  :D

We have a 12 ' cargo trailer and cannot move it loaded.  After we empty the GC and Christmas decorations at the Fort, we can push it to the back of a premium site.  I have a two wheel dolly that helps if it gets off concrete, but I want to add a ball to my GC.  I hadn't thought about my lawn tractor...  But I'd hate to try anything bigger without motorized help.

Whew, thanks for all the responses. I guess I was figuring the (nearly) empty weight of a 24' being around 5000# and the tongue weight being about 10% of that I'd only have to lift 500 lbs with the dolly and then it'd be fairly easy to push around (aka a stalled car). I was even thinking if I loaded the rear with weight I might be able to do the whole job by hand. Oh well. How about if I overinflate the tires and lather the drive with baby oil? This (http://www.parkit360.com/pricing/p360l/usa.html) is a cool solution, but pretty spendy... about the same as a riding lawnmower. How about a 4 wheel dolly under the tongue jack, a chock under one set of tires, and a winch? Anything to avoid the embarrassment of taking 7 tries to back up my drive with 40 cars backed up watching me!

Donnie, how much are parking lessons? sc_biggrin.gif

ShantaClausSm.png

Shan, you are not giving yourself enough credit.  A longer trailer is easier to back up than a shorter one!!!  Take a day after you buy the trailer, spend a small part of the money you are thinking of spending on that dolly on some cones from tractor supply and a flag for the better half, and go to a parking lot and practice practice practice!!! 

My TT is 34' long, I back it into my drive, a 90 degree turn off the road, 600' uphill with a curve, and a 90 degree into the spot I keep it, and I do it every time we take it out.  Really don't let the worry of 10 minutes of your trip be a factor in your selection, buy what you like and what you can tow safely, you will not regret it.

Whew, thanks for all the responses. I guess I was figuring the (nearly) empty weight of a 24' being around 5000# and the tongue weight being about 10% of that I'd only have to lift 500 lbs with the dolly and then it'd be fairly easy to push around (aka a stalled car). I was even thinking if I loaded the rear with weight I might be able to do the whole job by hand. Oh well. How about if I overinflate the tires and lather the drive with baby oil? This (http://www.parkit360.com/pricing/p360l/usa.html) is a cool solution, but pretty spendy... about the same as a riding lawnmower. How about a 4 wheel dolly under the tongue jack, a chock under one set of tires, and a winch? Anything to avoid the embarrassment of taking 7 tries to back up my drive with 40 cars backed up watching me!

Donnie, how much are parking lessons? sc_biggrin.gif

ShantaClausSm.png

How bout a hot air balloon to float it into place!  :)

I had some problems pushing the Outback around until I filled the tires with helium.  Now I can move it with just one finger.

My first TT was an old Coleman popup that weighed in at about 1200lbs.  I used to push it into its parking spot at my house all the time.  My driveway was on a curve and it was kind of a pain to back it in the driveway, so one day I got the bright idea I would just back in part way, unhitch and push it the rest.  So I backed in, unhitched and started moving it down the driveway.  Did I mention my driveway was a downward slope to the house?  That trailer started picking up speed and there was me, all 170lbs holding onto the tongue, digging my feet in trying in vain to stop that 1200lb trailer.  Not one of my brightest moments.  Fortuneately, my wood guy had delivered a pile of wood for my woodstove and left it in a pile at the bottom of the driveway, so the trailer wedged itself onto the pile before it hit the house.

Europeans have the right idea!!

http://www.busyoutdoors.com/powrtouch-compact-mover/p712

I REALLY want one of these, even with my little camper, cause I CAN'T move mine by hand by myself on even a slight slope.

Wow!! That is very, very cool. Wish I had had one of those when I had my TT. Would make hooking up a cinch.

My first TT was an old Coleman popup that weighed in at about 1200lbs.  I used to push it into its parking spot at my house all the time.  My driveway was on a curve and it was kind of a pain to back it in the driveway, so one day I got the bright idea I would just back in part way, unhitch and push it the rest.  So I backed in, unhitched and started moving it down the driveway.  Did I mention my driveway was a downward slope to the house?  That trailer started picking up speed and there was me, all 170lbs holding onto the tongue, digging my feet in trying in vain to stop that 1200lb trailer.  Not one of my brightest moments.  Fortuneately, my wood guy had delivered a pile of wood for my woodstove and left it in a pile at the bottom of the driveway, so the trailer wedged itself onto the pile before it hit the house.

Fortunately, mine does have a hand brake :-)

I learned that lesson in a similar way with my first pop-up after unhitching on a slope that was shallow enough for me to unhook, but just enough slope for the trailer to slowly start rolling away......

Grabbed some firewood and threw it under the wheel (hadn't picked up much speed yet), that stopped one side, then I grabbed the hitch to stop the other side but it still dragged me sideways a few feet....

That might have been the same trip I forgot to put down the rear jackstands before I went inside and walked to the back......

Who knew you weren't supposed to do that???  :banana:   

I learned a LOT from that first cheapo Pop-up.  And I still miss having it.  ???

??? :) :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately, mine does have a hand brake :-)

That is why you should always have your spouse outside when these things occur. So when things go wrong and your significant other starts "I told you so!", you use them as a wedge.  :jumpforjoy