What are your thoughts on using US 27 (and 27A) from the Tallahassee area toward Ocala instead of going all the way down I-10 to I-75 before turning south?  Or using it to go north leaving the Fort?  There are several small towns along the way, but also a lot less traffic last time i went that way...either north or south.

We have used 27 a few times both north & south, have taken it all the way to & from 301 and A1A to 95, it seems longer I think because of the towns and lights, plus do not speed in the small towns as they do not tolerate it. It's a nice drive for most of it, nice horse farms but the towns can be a PIA sometimes. We have used it because we stay at the Thousand Trails on 27 so it puts us right there without the I4 hassles

That's the road I take to get to Tallahassee.  I've driven it many times.  Many.

You're right about the police in those little towns- they'll get you.

They also like to set up a cop car on the side of the road with its lights on and nab people for the move over law.  They got my oldest daughter on that one.

All the police cars in those towns are brand new and top of the line for some reason.

But, as long as you stick to the speed limit, and watch for the move over law traps, it's a much more pleasant drive than the craziness you'll encounter on 75.

TCD

Thanks, Guys.  I almost turned onto it going north in early January due to the thick traffic on 75.  But as we approached the exit, the traffic thinned out and we had not more trouble up to 10.  We were going to Mobile, so we had to make the turn onto 10 and drive through the Tallahassee area anyway.  I used to use 27 routinely going to or from Mobile, but have not used it in several years.  MANY years ago I used it a lot when I worked for the Air Force and had to visit those radar stations that were along that way.