Wait a minute.  Are you saying that RCID is basically responsible - through Reedy Creek Energy Services - for its own electricity generating plant, the sewage treatment plant, garbage collection, and water treatment not only for WDW, but for the consumers who live in the district?  What about the new Four Seasons hotel?  Is that RCID, too?  Plus, RICD sets tax rates, maintains pipelines,  and - assumption here - maintains roads, sidewalks, etc.  And five people are ultimately responsible for all of this?  OMG!  The learning curve for those board members must be unreal!

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that RCID is basically responsible - through Reedy Creek Energy Services - for its own electricity generating plant, the sewage treatment plant, garbage collection, and water treatment not only for WDW, but for the consumers who live in the district?

RCES is responsible for providing the utilities, but they don't necessarily produce or actually do the work. They purchase some things from the outside.

There are only a few dozen people that live at WDW.

What about the new Four Seasons hotel?

It's in Orange County and is not part of WDW.

Plus, RICD sets tax rates, maintains pipelines,  and - assumption here - maintains roads, sidewalks, etc.

They are the taxing agent for RCID only.

They maintain only the roads and common areas that fall under their jurisdiction. Some roads and common areas are owned by other entities.

And five people are ultimately responsible for all of this?  OMG!  The learning curve for those board members must be unreal!

Is it that much different than a County government?

So, then, RCID is only for WDW.  I got it.  

Is it that much different than a County government?  Well, that depends.  Our county really doesn't provide utility services as most of the subdivisions are under their own management, i.e., municipal utility districts.  It is those districts that maintain all water related services and garbage collection.  Our MUDs don't provide electricity or maintain roads, curbs, or sidewalks.  All roads are maintained by the county and the electricity is provided by the company of one's individual choice.  

So our responsibility only lies with providing and maintaining water, sewage services, and garbage.  We purchase our water and sewage services from the city of Houston - which makes us vulnerable to their rate increases -  but the garbage collection is a contracted private firm.

We also have a water management company, but adding electricity, composting, recycling to the mix would entail quite a bit of learning.  

At the end of the day, those five board members are accountable for every utility in that district.  They approve contracts, set budgets, and make far-reaching decisions.  Even though the contracted companies actually run the day-to-day details, the members must be informed and understand what is going on.  

My job is big enough just being one of the five directors on our little MUD.  I can't imagine breadth of knowledge it must take to be a RCID board member!

So, then, RCID is only for WDW.  I got it.  

It essentially is WDW.

The management structure is a little shady as to the separation between WDW and RCID, but it's obvious what's going. I would have demanded the same thing if I owned WDW.

I can't imagine breadth of knowledge it must take to be a RCID board member!

Don't know, but maybe each board member has a staff that does the heavy lifting. However they do it, it's worked for a long time.