Just saw a news report on our local station that says Disney recycles 50 to 60 tons of leftover food a day. I knew it would be a lot but 120,000 lbs a day! Obviously a lot of people don't eat like me. I bet I won't leave ten pounds of Disney food on my plate my whole life. I'm sure a lot of it is kitchen waste. So who besides little kids is leaving all this food.

I bet I won't leave ten pounds of Disney food on my plate my whole life. I'm sure a lot of it is kitchen waste. So who besides little kids is leaving all this food.

Not me!  Although I will admit to leaving filet on my plate from the Canada pavilion at F&W last year.  It was all fatty and gristly.

Recycles??

Does that mean they rinse it off, re-sauce it and serve it to the next guest?

I'm pretty sure by "recycle" they mean it is processed thru the body and passed into the plumbing.

That there is a lot of s**t. Notice I cleaned that up for the little mouse ears.

Why did that show go away? Did they run out of stuff for him to do?

Why did Dirty Jobs get canceled? I’m going to blame it on the second law of thermodynamics which posits that we exist in a disintegrating universe, and it was just time.

The show had been on for eight years. Programming is going in a different direction nowadays, you know, and I’m older than I’ve ever been. Dirty Jobs is a very physical show. When I stand up now very quickly my right knee makes a popping sound. It’s troubling.

And so I listened to my body. I listened to my instincts. And most importantly, I listened to my bosses.

We were done. My big regret is that we didn’t have a chance to really say thanks to the fans but you know what? Never say never.

Have you hear he has a new show coming Beckers?

Yup and in case anyone cares, this is the description

Mike Rowe’s new series Somebody’s Gotta Do It brings viewers face to face with men and women who march to the beat of a different drum. In each episode, Rowe visits unique individuals and joins them in their respective undertakings, paying tribute to innovators, do-gooders, entrepreneurs, collectors, fanatics – people who simply have to do it. This show is about passion, purpose, and occasionally, hobbies that get a little out of hand. (Produced by Pilgrim Studios)

Yup and in case anyone cares, this is the description

Mike Rowe’s new series Somebody’s Gotta Do It brings viewers face to face with men and women who march to the beat of a different drum. In each episode, Rowe visits unique individuals and joins them in their respective undertakings, paying tribute to innovators, do-gooders, entrepreneurs, collectors, fanatics – people who simply have to do it. This show is about passion, purpose, and occasionally, hobbies that get a little out of hand. (Produced by Pilgrim Studios)

He posted about it on his Facebook page today thats the only reason I knew. 

Oh yes...it IS that voice...and a few other things.

Anyway,

We ate at the Garden Grill on our last trip and it was delicious! We asked our server what happened to the leftovers if we didn't take them. She said the food that couldn't be donated was composted and used to "feed" the plants around Disney. I hope it's the truth, but we didn't leave much for the plants.

She said the food that couldn't be donated was composted and used to "feed" the plants around Disney. I hope it's the truth, but we didn't leave much for the plants.

About six years ago, the Disney Environmental Council developed and implemented a company wide program called "The Green Standard" and part of this program is a sub program called "The Green Workspace" which encourages recycling. Composting is part of the recycling imitative and is done wherever it can be. However WDW is only a participant and the program is administered by "Reddy Creek Energy Services", a Disney owned company, which provides utilities to RCID, which then provides services to WDW, WOW! Got that?

You can see the recycling facility on the satellite images. Find Western Way, then Bear Island Road.

You'll see sewage treatment, solid waste, and composting facilities.

And what's there as well, you tell me? Hint, driving a bus requires me to go there once in a while, and it stinks most times.

When we ate at Chef Mickey's last time, I noticed tables where people had just finished and saw plates full of shrimp left from kids leaving the table and thought that was pretty sad a parent allowed that. When I say full, I mean like 20 or 30 shrimp on each plate.  I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. My kids are guilty of not always cleaning a plate but I monitor what they take in the first place. I imagine this happens alot at any buffet. I was so bothered by this though. The magnitude of wasted food when so many are hungry is inexcusable. 

You sure can tell we live in a land of plenty here in America. For now anyway....