If you want to guarantee the kids catch something get the smallest hooks you can find.  If you plan on catch and release use a pair of pliers and flatten the barb on the back of the hook. This will allow for easy removal and minimum trauma to the fish. This strategy will catch fish if there are fish in the water but they will be small fish.

agree with the smaller hooks, there are some huge fish in the lakes and canals around the fort. They have all been cought on small hooks, believe me they all probably have been cought at least once before. Some of the catfish can be huge and you won't be able to pull them up, you need to ease them up on the bank and give them plenty of line for awhile till you wear them out of you'll just break the line. I pulled some up and took more than one hook out of their mouths. Make sure a pair of needle nose pliers with you to get the hooks out. Outside the fort I have no idea what to use, I only fish when I am at the fort.