So, I called today to extend my reservation to include Dec. 24 check out on Dec. 25, and there is no availability except for tent sites.  :(  I had a horrible, sinking feeling that this would happen.  We just did not know what days SIL was going to be able to take off.  Now, I am forced to consider staying in a hotel room for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning (shudder).  That will not do for this Mimi.  I need to cook Christmas dinner :( 

I am praying someone has a suggestion.  I should have known better.

Don't despair.  Chances are good that something will open up.

A very frustrating thing about Disney is that they block-off holiday dates and hold them for some reason.  My guess is that they want to hold those sites to sell to guests who buy packages.

The best suggestion I can give to you is to contact a travel agent who knows the ins and outs of Disney's unique system.  Jason from MouseCounselors is one of those very qualified travel agents and is also a sponsor of this site. You can find his contact information on this page: http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259

He can keep checking for you, and hopefully snag the dates you're looking for.

TCD

We originally booked our trip to occur around Christmas, 2013.  To do this, we started booking around Christmas-time 2012.  The Disney TA told us the best way to get the block of days we wanted was to keep checking back on the Disney booking website periodically, and call immediately when the site preference and day combination showed available.  Doing this, we were able to piece together the block of days we wanted in three separate bookings, all with the same site preference.

Now, as it turned out, as we got closer to Christmas, 2013, we decided that if we could re-book everything for Spring Break, 2014, we were going to change it.  One call to the Disney TA and we were able to get it re-booked without any fees.  We just returned from this trip, and had a great time.

Long story short, don't worry.  Christmas, 2014 is a long way off and if you keep checking back with the online booking search, chances are something will come available and you'll be able to piece together your trip.

I would not worry at this point either.  I concur with the others that a TA specializing in Disney vacations will be your best bet.

However, I have been in this very situation in the past.  Another thing you can do is book the extra night(s) you need with whatever site type is available, even if it's not the kind you need.  Then, as the date gets closer, you can periodically check if you can switch it to all nights in the site type you need.  Worst case, you may have to wait until you are checked in, then go up front and see if they can keep you in the same site for your entire stay.  Chances are yes due to last minute cancellations, etc.  I personally have done this quite a few times.

I wouldn't worry about it for a while. We were there for two weeks at Christmas last year and it took several different bookings to piece is all together, and I started booking in March and it was October or November until I finally got all of the dates we needed. Closer to the date people will cancel. We have 3 weeks at thanksgiving and 2 weeks at Christmas booked, we aren't sure what our travel plans are yet so one of those will be cancelled... closer to the time. I know lots of other people book the Fort that far in advance just to secure the sites, just because we know what a pain the Disney system can be trying to book everything you want at one time.