We picked up our very first camper yesterday and there is a smell coming from the toilet. It is a used camper and I cleaned the toilet itself. That made it a bit better but the smell is trying to come back slowly. We are not camping in it for a few weeks so what can I do while it is sitting in the yard? Everything I have read online says to flush the tanks and add chemicals or ice or dishwashing liquid but I am not at a dump station or sewer hookup for a few weeks. Please help.

Ice only works to loosen and break up any solids in the black tank, and must be done while you are moving to get the necessary sloshing action.  Other chemicals work in the tank...I suggest formaldehyde-free chemicals to break down the crud in the tank and provide some odor control.  The chemicals would just stay in the tank until you are able to dump.  Repeat applications might be necessary if it sits in the hot sun for long periods.  Can I assume there is water (or something) in the tank?  Also Is the bowl holding water?  If not, Sealand suggests you let the valve slam shut to insure a good seal.  If that doesn't work, you may need to clean around the seal, or in more extreme cases, replace the seal.  Did you buy from an individual or a store?  I would expect a store to be sure the tanks are clean.  Maybe an individual would ot go to that trouble.  Good luck.  And don't rely on any tank indicators as to fullness in the tanks.  The sensors are notorious for giving wrong readings, especially the black tank.

Edit:  After you dump, be sure to put some clean water in the tanks.  Some say gallons, but I guess that depends on the size of your tanks.  That helps to keep solids from forming in a dry tank.  Keep your grey tank valve open if you are there for several days, especially if you will be using the shower or other water hogging faucets.  But keep your black valve closed until you are ready to dump...say, 2/3 to 3/4 full.  After you dump, flush with plenty of water to get rid of as much residuals as you can.

I am not sure if there is water in the tanks or not. There isn't any water in the bowl. And we bought it from a dealer but as an "as is" purchase. When you say seal do you mean that in the bowl I should not see any opening around the exit (for lack of a better word)?

I am not sure if there is water in the tanks or not. There isn't any water in the bowl. And we bought it from a dealer but as an "as is" purchase. When you say seal do you mean that in the bowl I should not see any opening around the exit (for lack of a better word)?

Pour some water into the bowl....maybe a couple of cups.  If it stays in the bowl for several hours your seal is probably ok.  If it leaks down into the tank, the seal (the round black rubber gasket) needs cleaning or replacing.  And if the seal is bad, it will allow sewer smells to escape the tank into your bathroom. 

When you press the flush lever, you move the flapper valve (may be flat or rounded) which opens the toilet bowl to the tank below.  That valve rides in a slotted gasket or seal.  Sometimes the slot gets enough residual stuck in it that it needs to be cleaned.  I used a toothbrush  (an old one or my wife's) to run around the seal to clean the slot.  If this does not allow water to stand in the bowl, the seal may need to be replaced.  But some people report putting vaseline in the slot helps prolong the life of the seal and helps improve the sealing action.  And again, let the valve slam shut to see it that helps retain water in the bowl.  You will likely not see any opening if the seal is just leaking slightly.  And to support what Dave said, water in the bowl helps to keep the sewer gasses out of the camper.  (Dave KNOWS toilets.)

Make sure the vent is clear, too. It will be a pipe on the roof with a plastic cap on it.