Interesting article from the Disney Parks Blog for you Animal Kingdom fans...

It’s no secret that a highlight of visiting Disney’s Animal Kingdom is the opportunity to see plenty of beautiful animals! Over the years, a commonly shared “tip” has been to get to the park early because animals are more likely to be seen in the morning. Our Science Operations Team set out to test that tip by recording animal visibility throughout the day.

Hypothesis (Myth): Animals are more likely to be seen in the morning.

eeeeee837721THUMB.jpg WILWED458888THUMB.jpg

The researchers separated the park into five areas to include Kilimanjaro Safaris Ride, Discovery Island/Tree of Life, Oasis Gardens, Pangani Forest Trail, and Maharajah’s Jungle Trek. In these areas, they collect visibility data at several different times of the day on almost all of the animals including Giant Anteater, White Stork, Giraffe, Ostrich, Tiger, Elephant and Gorilla. The research team has been monitoring animal visibility in this fashion since the park opened in 1998 and they now have an amazing archive of information on how the animal viewing experience in the park has changed over the years.

WILWED877899.jpg

For this analysis, the team’s observational data were recorded and used to calculate an “average visibility” for each species at each time of day. These statistics were then compared to determine if there was in fact an increased chance of animal visibility at a certain time during the day. Analyses of data from the past several years all reveal the same finding…

Conclusion (and myth busted): Time of day does not significantly change the probability of spotting animals.

Translation — You can sleep in and still have a great, animal-filled day!

**On your next visit to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, be sure to pick up an Animal Guide to help you discover the animals in each area of the Park. You can even become a Wilderness Explorer by completing challenges and earning adventure badges throughout your day!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/07/wildlife-wednesday-myth-busters-whens-the-best-time-to-see-your-favorite-animals-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

The one thing I will say from personal experience is that spotting animals close to "dinner time" can go one of 2 ways on the safari, as a lot of the big animals head to their pens off stage around then - namely giraffes, elephants, lions, some of the bigger hooved animals, etc.

For lion spotting, that can actually be good, as it might be one of the few times you'll see the lions up and moving around instead of sleeping.  We've seen the males pacing over by where the chute is to their off-stage area late in the day.  It's located right behind that big outcropping towards the "back" of their area.  The giraffes tend to congregate in that little "alcove" area on the left, just before you head out of their section.  You can't see it from the truck, but that's where the gate is for their pens.

When I did the backstage tour at AK the keepers said they try and vary feeding time, but the animals still pick up the routine pretty quickly.  They also said that not all the animals have to come in at night, but most do.

Time of day aside, I think weather/temperature is probably a bigger factor in spotting animals.  If it's hot and sunny, many will be hiding out trying to keep cool - especially the big cats. Cool, rainy days can be some of the best for seeing the animals up and active.

We are planning to do morning EMH at AK, heading to the safari ride first.  I am hoping we have good results for my big cat loving son. Time will tell!

Be sure to hit the Maharajah Jungle Trek too - that's where the tigers are and there are lots of places to view them there.  :)

This is what the Mouse says:

"Although animals are typically more active in mornings and during cooler weather, Kilimanjaro Safaris has great animal viewing in both the morning and afternoon."

We are planning to do morning EMH at AK, heading to the safari ride first. 

You'll have to change your spreadsheet, Marty

The Kilimanjaro Safaris, that's what it's called now, as far as I know, does not start operating until 9am even on days with EMH.

This is what the Mouse says:

"Although animals are typically more active in mornings and during cooler weather, Kilimanjaro Safaris has great animal viewing in both the morning and afternoon."

You'll have to change your spreadsheet, Marty

The Kilimanjaro Safaris, that's what it's called now, as far as I know, does not start operating until 9am even on days with EMH.

:panic:  You realize that i am now scouring the web to find out whether they do run KS during AK EMH (I am such a Disney nerd with all my silly abbreviations!).  All ears says they do.

Lou, any chance you want to book a room so you can get up and go check for me one morning?  :lol:

:panic:  You realize that i am now scouring the web to find out whether they do run KS during AK EMH (I am such a Disney nerd with all my silly abbreviations!).  All ears says they do.

Here's a novel idea, check an official Disney website for a change. They may have some insight.

Marty, I would say yes that's what it means.

I checked today's schedule and it shows the EMH hours for Kilimanjaro, but it does not show them for the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Therefore I would conclude that if the site shows EMH for the attraction, then it's open.

But I'd add one caveat... the Disney site is often inconsistent, vague and sometimes inaccurate.  I wouldn't be 100% sure of anything on the site.

Okay, this is what the Disney site says: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/kilimanjaro-safaris/

I would conclude that it is open during morning EMH.  What do you think?

Click on the little calendar and select your EMH date.

I should have said that when you're going to be there, it will not start operating until 9am.

Click on the little calendar and select your EMH date.

I should have said that when you're going to be there, it will not start operating until 9am.

Ack!  This does mean re-working my precious spreadsheet.  Other than EE, there is not much that will be open that we wanted to do at AK during the morning EMH.

But I will make this work!  

Thank you for the heads up, Lou!  While this is annoying right now, it would have been extremely stressful to have gotten up that early only to find my plans thwarted.  I can take bumpsin the road, but at least let the first thing i plan to do work out!

the Disney site is often inconsistent, vague and sometimes inaccurate.  I wouldn't be 100% sure of anything on the site.

Of course I'm going to disagree with your assessment.

While MDE may not be 100% accurate, give the name of an unofficial Disney website that is?

Really, a lot of other stuff is open at 8am.

Yes, but mostly the dinosaur stuff.  We are not really interested in that.  The only other things is It's Tough to be a Bug, which i don't think my kids will enjoy.

I am hoping they have the Mar... trail open early.  I know Trey would love that.  He's the one who wants to have his own big cat rescue one day.  :heartsmiley:

I am hoping they have the Mar... trail open early.  I know Trey would love that.  He's the one who wants to have his own big cat rescue one day. 

I'm not familiar with the Mar..trail, but it appears that, it's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, and TriceraTop Spin, will be open for EMH  on the 26th.

Thanks for the info Lou!

Of course I'm going to disagree with your assessment.

While MDE may not be 100% accurate, give the name of an unofficial Disney website that is?

I'm not saying the unofficial ones are 100% accurate either, just that the Disney site isn't always gospel either.

Fortfiends.net. 100% accurate or double your money back

Well, except this one of course!  8)