Pineapple Upside Down Cake in Foil Packets

I found this recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake (sort of) cooked on the grill in foil packets.  It looks good and easy.  SaraLee has pound cake in the freezer section that has individually wrapped slices.  It would be very handy for camping. 

http://www.echoesoflaughter.ca/2012/06/camping-bbq-recipes-week-pineapple.html

We made this with whole pineapple ring then butter, brown sugar and cinnamon then a slice of pound cake.  Put on hot coals pineapple side down for 5-7 mins and then turn over for 5-7 mins. open carefully (molten sugar is like lava) and top with whip cream.   Ice cream would be even better but we rarely have ice cream with us camping. 

We made this with whole pineapple ring then butter, brown sugar and cinnamon then a slice of pound cake.  Pun on hot coals pineapple side down for 5-7 mins and then turn over for 5-7 mins. open carefully (molten sugar is like lava) and top with whip cream.   Ice cream would be even better but we rarely have ice cream with us camping. 

I tell you- I will be making this within days. This sounds fantastic!

I made this for supper. I give the results a C. Here's what I did and learned:

I put 1/2 a short can of drained pineapple on a piece of heavy duty foiled that had been sprayed with Pam-like spray.

I cut one 1" slice of Sara Lee pound cake into cubes and put it on top of the pineapple.

The recipe says to top this with a dollop each of butter and brown sugar. I used 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 big spoonsful of dark brown sugar plus a few chopped walnuts and then sealed the foil packet.

image-7.jpg

The recipe says to put it on a hot grill for about 15 minutes then open the packet to allow the cake to brown.

image-6.jpg

Results: the heat was too high and there wasn't enough butter and brown sugar.

image-8.jpg

I'll try it again and hopefully improve upon today's results.