When we go to the fort I anchor the awning legs to the ground & just leave it unless a storm is coming.  The first time I tried the plastic tent stakes which worked great but I couldn't get them back out. They just disintegrated while trying to pull them out. Last year I tried the metal ones made out of 1/4" metal rod with a plastic hook on the end. These were great at first but became very loose over a short time.  What ever is used at the fort for a base under the sites is very thick & hard to get through. So what sort of stakes or tie downs or both do you use?

I use the plastic stakes and usually don't have an issue getting them up.  When I do, I use this thingamagigabob I got at a camper store, it's metal & curved & made specifically to pull up stakes.

yes, and now that you have used that terminology Melissa, I can't remember what the damned thing is called either.... :grpwelcome:

however, it does work in not snapping them and the reason why we use the plastic ones

I am a cheap Fiend

Well when I had to remove the plastic ones I first tried to pull me out by hand which didn't work at all. That one the top actually broke off in my hand. After that I tried tapping on either side with my hammer before breaking another. The last one to break I tried prying it up with the fork side of the hammer which of course didn't work. The only one that came out was last one which I figured was just a fluke. Now what is this thingamagigabob that you speak of???  I will buy one for sure if I can find out it's actual name.

I use the 12" metal sand stakes. You need to be sure and pull the stakes out at the same angle as they were driven in. I have seen many people trying to pull straight up to remove a stake that was driven in at an angle.   

pull \ 

not |   

To me, sounds like you got some old dry rotted stakes. But in the camping section at Wal-Mart there is a rubber mallet with a hook on the end for pulling stakes. run about $3, that way you can hammer them in and yank them out.  :rofl2:

woohoo, I might have to go shopping for something new!

Here's a pic

61TKYE3SQ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13848629&adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

but in the store they were cheaper

and this was one of the reviews

Great tool. Do yourself a favor and remove the hook and screw in a bigger one. First time I used the hook to remove pegs, it bent. Other than that , great tool.