I cannot speak for this particular unit, but I just did a bunch of research on generators for this exact reason. We wanted a unit to be able to run a refrigerator and freezer if the power went out for longer periods of time.

What I found was that the Honda generators are the way to go. They are more expensive, but are very quiet and sip fuel unlike other brands. Look at the inverter type as well which will provide the cleanest power. We bought the Honda 2000i and can add a second unit later if I do not have enough watts. It was more expensive, but gives us the flexibility, reliability and power we need. We got ours through Northern tools and it shipped for free.

Thanks.  We're debating.  Honda cost more... so it's a tough call.  Every storm season we say, "man...we really should have a generator", but then we get very lucky and never loose power (or if we do, it's only for a couple of hours".  So the debate is, "do we really want to spend the money??".

Whatever you get, if the need arises to use it, be sure it is carefully placed outside.  We recently got a whole house generator (Kohler) and the installer relocated it from our desired location, saying it would have been under a bedroom window, and potentially just as dangerous as if it were being used indoors or in a garage.

Whatever you get, if the need arises to use it, be sure it is carefully placed outside.  We recently got a whole house generator (Kohler) and the installer relocated it from our desired location, saying it would have been under a bedroom window, and potentially just as dangerous as if it were being used indoors or in a garage.

Thank you.  I had read that same warning earlier today and was glad that I did because we would have put it in the garage and let it run in there.  Now we're just going to store it in there... then move it outside if we have to use it (outside behind the garage away from any living area).

Thank you.  I had read that same warning earlier today and was glad that I did because we would have put it in the garage and let it run in there.  Now we're just going to store it in there... then move it outside if we have to use it (outside behind the garage away from any living area).

Regardless of where you operate it, please make sure you have an operating carbon monoxide detector in your home....or more than one if you have bedrooms on different levels of the house.