Just a shout out for a very special place not far from the Fort that deals with disabilities in a big way. It's also ironic that I'm posting about something that WM Pete had written an open letter about, "Give Kids the World".

For those of you not familiar with it, check out their website.

For over ten years in my capacity as a volunteer airport greeter, I've met and spent time with hundreds of really special children and their families. It makes you humble and appreciative. I'm always amazed at the courage this kids have.

Several years ago I knew a child well who went to Disney on this program.  Tragically, he became ill while at Disney, was rushed home and died.  He was 6 years old and quite a character, and to this day I tear up when I think of him and this tragedy.  This is truly a wonderful program.

Tragically, he became ill while at Disney, was rushed home and died.

Unfortunately it does happen from time to time. Hopefully he got some enjoyment.

GKTW would not able to to their fine work without the support of all the local wish organizations around the country. It's a team effort.

I also have known 3 families that have experienced "Give kids the world". All have praise for this wonderful facility. These boys were all diagnosed with life threatening forms of cancer when they were young. I am glad to report all are in their early 20's now and living very full lives.  :)

From what I have read this seems like a wonderful program.  :)  A family friend has been to Disney thanks to the "Make a Wish program".  This is something the family will always remember.. God Bless these organizations, they provide a lifetime of memories.

• 5 months later...

We had the opportunity to take part in the New England Cars 2 GKTW benefit that was put on by a group of local DIS'ers from Massachusetts on July 2. The woman who started the idea, Tara, has a brother who works at a cinema in Fitchburg, MA. The cinema donated the showing, followed by a BBQ event at a nearby FOE aerie (Eagles club). It was like a family reunion of sorts and all the food was donated by Boston Market and Friendly's. We had a great time and the event raised over $10,000 - and I got to share this with the family. I also got to meet Peter Werner, Walter Echols and Kathy Werling. And I won a door prize of a basket of Dunkin Donuts coffee items!

I have to say, after seeing all the kids with more aggressive and difficult cancers down at Boston Children's Hospital and Dana Farber while our oldest was being treated for his, I had a tough time watching the short video they had about GKTW. I'll try to post some photos later after I get them uploaded to photobucket.

Lou, thank you for volunteering for this organization.

I had a tough time watching the short video they had about GKTW.

I'm assuming you had a tough time watching the video because instead of seeing kids with bald heads, lying in hospital beds with tubes plugged into them, the video showed mostly happy. smiley, kids, running around having a great time at the GKTW Village and WDW

Next time you're in the area, let me know if you'd like to visit GKTW.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this thread Lou!

In 2008, my daughter was granted a Make a Wish trip to Disney World and we were lucky enough to get to stay at GKTW.

It's funny because when my daughter was granted the trip, we had asked if we could just stay at one of the WDW resorts because I didn't think a trip to WDW would be the same without being on property. After staying at GKTW, we all wish we could go back. It's truly beyond magical. And it's people like you who make it that way. :heart:

• 2 months later...

It was "Disney Magic" when I saw this thread. I just joined the forum last night and today my daugther sent me the attached picture of my grandson Jacob on the Give Kids the World banner. They will be at GKTW the last of November, first of December. Jacob has CP and does not speak, cannot swallow food, walk or even hold anything in his hands. His (non-biological) younger sister will be getting her wish. She is 3 and is almost blind. We want her to experience the lights of Christmas in hopes that she will remember. She has multiple health issues as well. They have an older sister (also not biological) who is HIV+. My daughter and son-in-law have adopted 5 children including these from Ethiopia, one from China and they have two biological children. We will be at Fort Wilderness from November 27th until December 9th. They will be over to see us at some point so if you hear lots of noise from one site it is probably them. lol

post-1421-0-29685000-1319681242_thumb.pn

Welcome to FF.net.

I see you posted on the "Fiends at Disney in Dec" thread, you should also post on the "please introduce yourself" thread. The link is below

http://www.fortfiend...oduce-yourself/

They will be at GKTW the last of November, first of December.

PM me their last name and arrival date so I can sign up to be their airport greeter.

My daughter and son-in-law have adopted 5 children including these from Ethiopia, one from China and they have two biological children.

That's amazing.

I'm so glad that there are people that can do that. I'm not one of them, but there are a few here that have also have taken in one or more special needs kids.

We will be at Fort Wilderness from November 27th until December 9th.

That's a great time to be there.

They'll be a few Fiends there at the same time.

How did you find us?