The Disney Food Blog has posted a new review of Artist Point, located at Disney's Wilderness Lodge...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/06/23/review-artist-point-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

We haven't eaten here for a really long time, but enjoyed it the last time we did.  Has anyone been there recently?

Excerpts...

Artist-Point-Bread-600x400.jpg

Bread and Butter

Artist-Point-Smokey-Portobello-Soup-600x

Smokey Portobello Soup

Artist-Point-Confit-Duck-Strudel-510x625

Confit Duck Strudel

Artist-Point-Buffalo-Buffalo-Buffalo-600

64°C Buffalo! Buffalo!! Buffalo!!!

Artist-Point-Cedar-Plank-Salmon-600x400.

Cedar Plank Salmon

Artist-Point-Cheesecake-600x450.jpg

Cheesecake

Artist-Point-Berry-Cobbler-600x417.jpg

Berry Cobbler

Not recently, but we ate there in February; thought the food and service were just OK. Our waitress was great but food was slow coming out fo the kitchen and the restaurant wasn't anywhere near busy (it was Valentine's day too).

Some friends of ours ate there a day or two prior and had an awful experience both with food and especially service. However, they were a large party with several small children.

I definitely think the quality and service has slid noticeably in the last several years. This used to be our favorite on-property restaurant but since the refurb Cali Grill has taken that spot.

I will say that the Buffalo three ways was excellent. My wife had the buffalo at CG and thought it was better; hard to not knock a restaurant (AP) where that's supposed to be one of the menu highights.

Rene and I ate there when we visited The Fort this past October. I thought the food was ok. Better than average for a restaurant of its type but I'm not sure it was worth the Disney premium we paid for the food. We opened with the steamed mussels followed by a bisque for me and a salad for the DW. For the entrees I had the Cedar Plank Salmon and Rene had the Smoked Cornish Hen. For dessert we split their berry cobbler with black berry ice cream. Having lived in many areas of the country the mussels just weren't up to what I've had in New England or the San Francisco Bay area. As far as the entrees go the only issues for both of us were the sides. I liked the salmon but didn't care a lot for the Sweet Potato Puree that came with it. Rene didn't care for Brussels Sprouts which is something we actually like a lot at home. I think they could have done a better job in the sides that came with the main dish. The dessert was ok and fit well to finish off the meal but Rene makes a better cobbler IMO.

I thought the service was very good. We liked our waiter, he had a very funny script that he had developed over the years (you heard it at every table) and was really personable. He stopped by enough so we didn't have to go looking for him and he didn't try to rush us out the door. All told it probably took us close to two hours to eat. I will say the food was a bit slower than I would have liked but it was tolerable and since we don't rush when dining out not a big issue. It is definitely on our list for a future visit after we get a chance to try some of the other higher end restaurants Disney and the Orlando area offer.

P.S. Want to add that my serving of salmon was larger than what is shown in the the picture above.

In a timely related story, this was posted today on the Disney Parks Blog...

Disney’s Wilderness Lodge takes guests on a journey to the beautiful Pacific Northwest, with design inspired by turn-of-the-century National Park lodges. And Artist Point carries that theme into the dining room with dramatic murals, timbered columns and pretty views of Bay Lake and Silver Creek Falls.

apwapw879771-613x345.jpg

So, of course, the cuisine helps tell the story, and Chef Michael Gonsalves, new at the helm in the Artist Point kitchen, is having fun with a menu that is focused on the America’s Pacific Northwest. “We are looking to convey the wonders of nature through food,” says Chef Michael.

apwapw667992-613x345.jpg

Regional dishes such as Dungeness crab cakes, steamed mussels, Cedar plank salmon and wild-caught prawns and halibut are on the menu, but Chef Michael is having fun with new tastes, too. A dashi-braised short rib starter is served with kombu turnip pickles, daikon and wild greens. Charred field asparagus with Berkshire prosciutto, mustard vinaigrette, and foraged greens also graces the menu. And he showcases produce from the “Land” at Epcot as well with offerings such as the “Land” Greens Salad featuring Masumoto Peaches, and Seed Granola.

apwapw445443-613x345.jpg

Favorites such as the smokey portobello bisque with crispy shiitakes stays on the menu, as well as the buffalo strip steak from North Fork Canada. For summer, Chef Michael is adding a new cheese and house-made charcuterie boards.

“We’ll be offering Pacific Northwest cheeses with house-made seed lavosh and crostini,” says Chef Michael. “And the house-made charcuterie will be ‘nose-to-tail,’ using the whole hog.” The restaurant’s beef, bison, halibut and salmon all are sourced from the Pacific Northwest too.

Most popular dish? The Cedar plank salmon, says Chef Michael, with his new rendition with local potatoes, baby fennel, Florida citrus and ver jus.

Every dish on the menu gets a wine pairing from sommelier Alvin Burrill, with each selection from Washington or Oregon. But Alvin also might recommend a Pacific Northwest ale if you ask, like the handcrafted Rogue Ales made in partnership with Voodoo Donuts (strange but true).

Looking ahead, Chef Michael says they are working on a terrace dining experience with a communal chef’s table – stay tuned for details!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/06/new-chef-new-menu-items-for-artist-point-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

We were down for our Anniversary in March.  We didn't make any ADR because we want to do what we want to do when the mood strikes us.  So, on the morning of our Anniversary, March 6th, I was reading DiT's trip report and saw the post about the California Grill.  So I suggest that to my wife to see if she would like to go there.  I had previously reviewed the CG's menu and to be honest, nothing on that menu sounded very appetizing to me.  My wife looked up their menu and without me saying anything, decided the same thing.  So, she remembered seeing the Artist Point in the WL and looked up their menu.  She immediately called them and had reservations for that night I think at 8 pm.  I had scheduled that night off of work so we could make an evening of it.  We decided on a boat trip instead of the bus and by some stroke of luck, we had the boat to ourselves.  Seeing the anniversary button on my wife's jacket, The boat 'captain' serenaded us with bawdy pirate themed songs for the trip :).  We arrived at the WL and only had to wait a few minutes for our table.  The restaurant had it's lighting set to low, but for me it was way to low as I needed a light to read the menu, but I suffer from Night Blindness to a degree.  While we're reading the menu, the waiter came out with complimentary champagne for us as my wife told them earlier we were celebrating our anniversary.  Score! 

Anyway, he asks us if we would like an appetizer or soup and salad to start out with.  I told him that I trust his judgement and to bring us what he would eat himself.  Shortly after, he brought us out Bread and Butter and two bowls of Smoked Portobello Bisque and he wanted to wait to see if we liked it. We both took a taste from our bowls and just looked at each other with wide eyes of satisfaction.  He knew from our looks that we were very happy with his choice and excused himself saying he would be back in a bit to see if we would like drinks and to order our entrees.  A few minutes later he came back and I had ordered an Apple Martini and my wife ordered an Espresso Coffee Martini.  I saw Salmon on the menu and got excited and stopped reading after Salmon.  Literally, I didn't anything after that word, didn't notice the price or read the description as it didn't matter because...Salmon..  I love Salmon.  mmmmmmm...mmmmmm...mmmmmmm, so that's what I ordered.  My wife ordered the Filet Mignon - medium done.

It didn't seem like it took a long time for the entrees to come out, although we both finished off the martinis and had to order another round before it came out.  The martinis were really tasty, as in went down very fast and smooth.  Anyway, our food comes out and there it is laid out in front of me, the sizzling salmon on the a cedar plank.  The salmon is transferred over to the plate with the rest of the entree.  I will say, the portion of salmon I received was larger then what is pictured above. 

My wife looks at me and asks "You really ordered that?" 

I reply back, "Yeah, Salmon.  Duh!"

She says, "No.  Brusselsprouts, Duh"

Me, "What!"

Because of the low light, I didn't notice them right away and remember, I stopped reading the menu after Salmon.

I hate, loath, abhor, detest those little evil weed balls.  You know how much I hate them?  As much as you all hate selfie sticks.  My wife tried to grow them one year in the garden.  I drowned those SOBs in so much weed killer, it took out about 1/8 of surround plants in the garden and the run off may have been responsible for the Potomac River Fish Kill of June 2010.

So anyway, I am now faced with a problem.  I tackle the salmon and I will say this with all seriousness.  I have never tasted Salmon before like that.  The texture was like no other too.  Awesome just doesn't describe it.  Better terms I could use would be; Outstanding, Stunning, Stupendous, Indomitable, Resplendent, Majestic or just simply Kickass.  At this point my wife is enjoying her filet and I have moved on to the other items on my plate.  She says her Filet was better then the one I grill at home.  That cut me deep because my grilled filet mignon is legendary around the family and friends who were fortunate enough to have over stayed their welcome whenever I've prepared it.  At $13.99/lb I'm not making that for them on purpose.  I had let her sample my Salmon earlier and she liked it as well.  Anyway, she cut me off a small piece of her filet and she was right.  It made mine seem like I've been grilling cube steak all this time.  She devoured the rest of the items on her plate with gusto :).  I did as well except the brussels.  There they laid, on the plate mocking me.  After some light stabbing of the pork and being shoved around the plate, my wife said, "Just try one, it might be different from the rest that you have ever tried".  After mulling it over a few minutes, I did just that.  And you know what?  I liked it!  It was like I was living a real life, Life Cereal commercial.  That chef did something special that night with those brusselsprouts.  I ate every single one of them and I actually would have ate more if they were there.  As if on cue, the waiter came up just as I was done and asked how everything was.  My wife told him something just short of a miracle just happened and my hatred of brusselsprouts and compliments to the chef for his magic with them.  He laughed and said he would be back in a minute.  He came back with a single plate with a nice sized piece of red velvet cake on it and said it was a gift from the chef for our anniversary to share with each other.  After we finished the piece of cake we were just filled up from the food, the water, the champagne, the martinis and even cups of coffee and just simply could not order dessert.  If we had, I'm sure that would have been exquisite as well.

Everything was perfect that night at the restaurant, from the superb service, to the superb staff and food.  The ambiance was even great despite my difficulties in low light situations.  My wife and I agree, that night was the best night we have ever had in any restaurant ever.  I guess you can say the pixie dust was really swirling around that night.  My only complaint from that night is I believe it has ruined salmon for me.  Since then, I've ordered salmon at least 8 different times at various restaurants, and each time I'm now wishing I was eating the salmon from Artist Point as every other place's dish is falling short.  Our experience at the Artist Point was a huge deciding factor in us pulling the trigger to stay at Disney in 2016.  The Fort being the larger factor.

I hate, loath, abhor, detest those little evil weed balls.  You know how much I hate them?  As much as you all hate selfie sticks.  My wife tried to grow them one year in the garden.  I drowned those SOBs in so much weed killer, it took out about 1/8 of surround plants in the garden and the run off may have been responsible for the Potomac River Fish Kill of June 2010.

:rofl2:

Thanks for that!  A great review and a great read to boot.  :)