Doctors/hospitals/urgent care near Disney?...

My son has been battling this bronchitis/asthma thing since Christmas. Went to the doc yesterday and now on more meds. I told him I wanted to try to get him better before our trip in May as I don't want to end up in an urgent care or hospital while there. But with FL weather/heat/humidity, it could make it worse.

He said he used to live in Orlando/work at Disney as a contracted doc for cast members and questioned a lot of the Urgent Care/hospitals in the area. He said in his opinion that the hospital in Kissimee is probably best.

Can anyone with any experience or one who lives in/near Orlando give me an suggestions, just in case.

Although it was a minor situation, back in 2006, my son's girlfriend needed some medical attention.  They called Centra Care (the front desk of our resort gave them a brochure). Their van picked her up, she had her appointment at the location at Downtown Disney, she got a prescription at the pharmacy next door, and then their van dropped the two of them back off at Epcot and they joined us for the rest of the evening.

She had Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance and they accepted that with just her copay. (From what I've read, they take very few insurance policies.)

Although it was a minor situation, back in 2006, my son's girlfriend needed some medical attention.  They called Centra Care (the front desk of our resort gave them a brochure). Their van picked her up, she had her appointment at the location at Downtown Disney, she got a prescription at the pharmacy next door, and then their van dropped the two of them back off at Epcot and they joined us for the rest of the evening.

She had Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance and they accepted that with just her copay. (From what I've read, they take very few insurance policies.)

That was one thing he cautioned me about was most don't take insurance and you pay up front. And he was a contracted doc years ago so things might have changed now (he said he and his wife would go and stay at a resort for the weekend and Disney only paid them some small amount but they got to stay at the resort free and eat anywhere on the resort for free...they were just there to provide medical care if a CM needed it! Disney probably doesn't even do that now!).

I looked up the Centra Care website...it seems like a "professional" place so it might not be bad if we have to use it! I'm hoping these new asthma meds kick in and help a lot. He's only 3 and when he gets sick, he gets really sick and we don't want that on vacation! :argh:

As I state on my FW web page I would recommend checking with your insurance provider for Urgent Care facilities within your insurance plan in the area of Disney.  Should you need less than "emergency" care you will already have information on a provider that accepts your insurance. 

On a similar note I always recommend folks obtaining information on emergency vets if they plan on taking their fur friends with them on vacation.  Funny thing is that I had the information on vets on the page long before I added about emergency human medicine. :-\

We have used the Centra care once when our son got an sinus infection while on our trip. We had no problems with them. They are a very busy place and yes a lot of their patients are from Disney.

On the other hand, we have also experienced Celebration hospital. My Dsil broke her hip while we were at the fort. Just an fyi, they do not always have staff on hand. She was there all night waiting and then they told her they had nobody orthopedic to help her there. She got transferred to another old hospital in Orlando. It was not a good situation. I can't help with anything else. These were the two places we have been to.