Planning little people's first trip in January. Its already been decided that we'll HAVE to do the Royal Akershus Princess Breakfast for my little girl, we are going for her birthday celebration. But I would like to do another meal that my little guy (4) will enjoy along with the rest of the family...DH, I and both sets of grands.

Any suggestions? We aren't doing the DDP so it will be OOP (so be kind to my wallet!!).  :bugeyes:

Get into Animal Kingdom at 8am by booking the Breakfast at Tusker House!  Not only was the food some of the best of the Disney Breakfast Buffets we  had for our Week in December; not only was the Character Interaction the best of any of the Character meals we had in December - we were already in Animal Kingdom ready to go when it opened.  Fast Passes for Expedition Everest (Dance Disco Yeti; Dance!) were a breeze and we right at Kilamanjaro Safari for a walk on ride (and all the babies were out!).

Just found this review on the Touring Plans site...

Breakfast with Character at the Cape May Cafe

by Kristen Helmstetter 14 Comments

On my last trip my friends and I decided to take advantage of our stay at the Beach Club and had breakfast at the Cape May Cafe on our last morning.  This restaurant is located just off the resort?s lobby and serves a buffet character breakfast as well as a clam bake style buffet dinner without characters.  During morning hours Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, and Goofy visit diners dressed in their finest beach attire.  When we arrived we had just a short wait since we had a large group.  Eventually, we were seated at a long table with one side having booth seating.  Some folks in my group thought this arrangement was a pain with a big group, since we?d want to get up to visit the buffet.

Aside from the odd table configuration, the eatery is decorated with sand castles, brightly colored beach umbrellas, and other seaside items.  While I love seaside atmosphere in general, I do have a few problems with this restaurant.  You see, my family has a vacation home in Cape May, New Jersey (the real Cape May) so you?d think this restaurant would have appeal for me.  But instead I take issue with it!  The Beach Club Resort is themed with the New England coast style.  Despite New Jersey?s close proximity to New England tourist hot spots like Cape Cod, our shore is quite different.  I contend the Cape May Cafe should be at the Boardwalk Inn instead given its Jersey Shore theme.  It seems strange for Disney to make this swap when they are usually so detail oriented.

Now that I?ve ranted about the restaurant?s location, I?ll also point out the decor inside the Cafe is not very reminiscent of my summer home.  The Cafe?s theme is continuous with the Beach Club?s with New English cottage architectural details and decor.  But, the actual Cape May is well known for its Victorian charm (like Main Street, USA).  In fact, the entire City of Cape May is a national historic landmark where its residents and visitors celebrate our seaside history.  While I enjoy the beachy and breezy atmosphere, I just don?t think they jive with the restaurant?s name since it is dedicated to a place I hold near and dear to my heart.

But not to worry, despite the interior design being a bit off (which I?m sure you wouldn?t even notice if you?d never been to Cape May) the food is still pretty good.  The variety of offerings on the buffet is more than substantial and provides options for everyone in your party.  The standard eggs, bacon, pancakes, and Mickey waffles (one of my personal favorites) are here, but there are some other foods I haven?t seen in other breakfast buffet locations around Walt Disney World.  How about some grilled asparagus with your eggs?  There is also an area dedicated to yogurt, fruit, and granola where you can create your very own yogurt concoctions.  Everything I ate was tasty and well prepared especially given the buffet setting.  It certainly wasn?t a gourmet experience, but for a fun breakfast it hit the spot.

The character interaction at the Cape May Cafe was a mixed bag.  My guess is the characters may have thought we wouldn?t be as into them since we were a table of about 10 adults with no kids in sight, but we were 10 Disney geeks.  We were paying for the character experience, and we sought out their attention.  We wound up getting some fun pictures of the whole group with Minnie Mouse on her second trip around the restaurant, but she pretty much ignored us during her first pass.  Mickey and Goofy both stopped to greet us, and take a couple pictures before moving on to the next table.  We had the best time with Donald Duck who hung out with our large table for a while taking pictures and being silly.

Overall, I had a great time goofing off with my friends and having some yummy food.  I?m actually heading back there again on my next trip since we had such a good time, and I?ll try to keep my grumbling about the restaurant?s decor to a minimum this time around.  My advice is to embrace the character meal experience whether you are dining with or without kids.  Obviously, if little ones are along for the ride, it?s easy to get swept up in the excitement of getting hugs and autographs.  However, if you?re having breakfast with a table full of adults, let your inner child out and don?t be afraid to be silly.  That?s what character breakfasts are all about!  And of course have a Mickey waffle or two!

What about you?  Have you dined here among the beach umbrellas and characters?  Let me know what you thought of your breakfast!

Next week I?ll be back to discuss my recent use of a touringplan during a busy day at the Magic Kingdom and to provide some advice to folks who may be heading down during the busy spring break season.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/04/05/breakfast-with-character-at-the-cape-may-cafe/

Let me preface my opinion by saying I'm really not cheap... well, not on vacation anyway... and after staying at the BC/YC for 9 of the past 10 summers, Cape May's one of my favorite places to eat - just not for breakfast.

I have issues paying just slightly less than lunch/dinner prices for breakfast when it's the cheapest meal of the day to feed a family. We've done all the character meals over the years so we might be a bit jaded, but really my bunch is just as happy with donuts or cereal in the morning so, if I'm gonna pay big bucks for a meal with characters, I want to at least get my money's worth by eating a meal that doesn't cost pennies to serve.

That said, you could ask for the very last breakfast seating time at Crystal Palace and be able to eat both breakfast & lunch foods at breakfast prices. The same goes for the last lunch seating when they're usually changing over to dinner on the buffet but, since you're seated for lunch, you pay lunch prices.

My personal favorites for a 4 yr old boy are Chef Mickey's in CR or Hollywood & Vine in DHS. Kids of all ages love to twirl their napkins in the air (it's an art to be mastered, you know) and dance with Mickey's bunch at Chef Mickey's. During busy times like holidays & free dining months Chef Mickey's has been known to add lunch seatings. They're not always advertised so it never hurts to call dining to ask even after you arrive. For us, a disney trip wouldn't be a vacation without dinner at Chef Mickey's and lunch at the Crystal Palace whether the kids are along or not.

Disney Playhouse fans will enjoy the play & dine atmosphere of Jo Jo's Circus & Little Einsteins Playhouse Pals. We did this lunch buffet just before we saw the Doodlebops in concert a few years back when WDW was doing the kids concert series'. I have never seen DD10 (who was much younger then obviously) enjoy a character meal so much. Now a jaded fourth grader, none of that stuff is cool anymore, but she still mentions how fun it was every time we walk by. H&V's character meals are breakfast & lunch, there aren't any characters at dinner but we've found the food to better on the dinner buffet there.

we have done hollywood & vine and Crystal Palace for lunch. We found that hollywood & vine's food was much better--more variety, very delicious---but it has Disney Jr. characters (which was fine because we have preschoolers, who met Agent Oso, and loved it) Crystal Palace, was crazy busy, the food was ok, it was good, just not as good as our previous experience at H&V. Crystal Palace was cute with the Winne the pooh , and all, but we were more packed in, (at least it felt that way) and it was just a buffet and character interaction. At H&V, they interacted more with the kids, congo lines, dancing, singing PLUS buffet & characters....

Oh well thats our 2cents for what its worth. We are gonna try Mickeys BBQ here in june....so I'll post my take on that later :banana:

We've done Ohana. It's a great breakfast but, once again, if I'm paying to do Ohana, it's gotta be for dinner these days. The dinner is awesome - IMO one of the best on property - and they normally don't have issues taking walkups - if you're willing to cool your heels until a table becomes available - which is a huge plus for those last-minute urges. We travel with friends whose whole purpose of traveling is  eating :argh: so it's not unusual for them make ADRs for the group before we even have a place to sleep. 

Anyway, back to breakfast (anybody notice I even hijack my own threads? there's gotta be a 12 step program for that  :-\) The characters lead the kids in a parade to the tune of the Lion King's "I just can't wait to be King" Ours loved it. Besides a fidget break, it provides a great opportunity for mom & dad to snap a few pics or use the video camera.  Afterwards, the children were invited to help themselves to seashell-shaped candy, which ours treasured & always refused to eat. Our girls were always totally captivated by paper umbrellas and the servers willingly indulged this childhood passion by giving each a small bag full. There wasn't as much character interaction as we've had other places, but they do enjoy the parade and the food is great.

If you get a table by the windows, the view is lovely and can also serve to keep the children somewhat entertained while adults finish their meal. The tonga toast at the Poly is to die for. That's hands-down my favorite food ever, despite the fact that it's only served at breakfast. In the past, it was only available in the Kona Cafe but, if you're at the character breakfast & asked for it, they'd bring you that too without an additonal charge.

:heart:YUMMMMMMMM, TONGA TOAST!!!  :barf: Just thinking about it makes me want to start packing...

Donald's Safari Breakfast was and is to this day one of my kids favorite character meals.  Plus as runner said its right by the safari ride so you can be first on when the park opens. Just book your adr for 8ish,

Thanks for all the input folks!  :rofl2:

Has anyone done the Best Friends Breakfast at Ohana?  The food sounds REALLY good!  :o

We've done O'hana's too. In fact, that was the only character dining experience that we liked (thought the food on the buffets was blah and kind of gross!). You can't go wrong with breakfast food.

• 3 weeks later...