DW and I were discussing ways to save money when we retire to the motorhome.  We currently have direct TV,  but nowadays the web has all stations with their shows on them for free, so why buy satellite?  We would just raise the antenna for local stuff and use the web for everything else.  We can get unlimited web on a broadband for about $45  a month.  Does this make sense to anyone?  Or is anyone currently doing it?

I have a Netflix account as well as Dish Anywhere.  Dish Anywhere allows me to watch any show I have recorded on my DVR - or to watch any of the channels I have on Dish.  Netflix fills in a lot of gaps in Dish programs.  Having the two of those was a big factor in getting a 14" laptop vs the Netbook.  I can watch any of those on a larger screen in HD without a hickup - that wouldn't happen with a Netbook.

I was one of the first Direct TV customers in my area; was with them for years; then gave me a huge run around about constant lost connections.  I told them the had 'one last chance'.  They sent a crew of SIX out.  I pointed out that the dish was pointed right through a tree;  I pointed out that when the dish was put there I pointed out that it barely cleared the tree, and the tree would grow.  The "supervisor" told me that the tree wouldn't affect the signal - it would look through the tree.  That's pure BS and I told him so at the time.  I also pointed out that the tree got wet when it rained - and the signal would NOT 'look through' the wet leaves.  They said they had 'done all they could do'.  I pointed out that they hadn't moved the dish - which was what it would take.  30 minutes after they left, it rained a little; I lost signal.  I called Direct TV and told them to cancel my service because THEY had failed to provide service.  They have begged for me to come back for YEARS.  Dish sent a crew out two days after Direct; I've had little trouble - and they have fixed the issues I've had within a few days.  Direct TV (at least the service people in my area) sucks hairy green donkey ummm wands.

We started out with DirectTV, then switched to Dish. Biggest mistake we ever made. The neighbors got Dish at the same time. Every time they changed their channel they changed ours too. It would not have been bad but we had different tastes in what we watched :rofl2: