In just 7 1/2 hours, 4:30am April 12, 2011 marks the 150th anniversary of the attack on Fort Sumter and the beginning of the Civil War.  Some of us Southerners still call it the 'War of Northern Aggression'  Whether you are Southern or Northern please take a few moments to remember our ancestors who lost their lives fighting for what they believed in. 

Being from the North.  I have to differ & say it was the War of Southern Aggression considering the south attacked Fort Sumter capturing it.  But I do agree we should remember all that lost their lives.  There were various issues that caused the war but when it finally ended we were a better nation for it.  We survived a civil war which most countries don't, & less than 100 years later we became the strongest nation on the planet.

In 1962 we almost had another Civil War when a black student by the name of James Meredith attempted to seek admission to the Univ. of Mississippi.  Rioting broke out (thanks to Governor Ross Barnett) and Pres. Kennedy authorized the Nat'l Guard into the city to disperse the rioters. Kennedy threatened to pull all Federal Funds allocated to the state if Barnett did not comply with the Supreme Court order.

My great great grandfather and his younger brother enlisted in the North.  He was 17 years old, and his brother was 15!  He fought at Gettysburg, Manassas, Antietam, and several other battles.  He was sent home once to die from chicken pox.  After he recovered, he re-enlisted using his middle name.  That generation was a whole different breed of individual than we have today.  Interesting that the folks who maintain military records in St. Louis have lost some of mine, but still have his including how much he was paid and what his rations were.  He fought in some of the bloodiest battles of the war.  I can't imagine what he experienced at such a young age.  At Appomatax, he helped stack the rifles you see in all the pictures of that event.  When it was all over, he returned home and finished his life as a dirt farmer in Western New York.

I found my paternal Grandfathers great Uncles Confederate service record through the archives. It was a long shot but it was definitely him. My Dads older brother had done a bunch of geneaology work before he passed away so I was able to add to his work, it was a gratifying experience all the way around. After studying the war for many years its very profound to have a link to several Confederates, I have walked quite a few battlefields and am moved every time.

Over 600,000 americans died over the 4 years of the war.  Disease accounted for approx. 2/3 of those numbers.  The civil war actually was where the US Military first used the field evacuation system still used today by the medical department, with some modifications.  Infection was a serious problem, but less so in the South.  The reason was that bandages were in short supply, so women in the South washed them and reused them.  The act of washing reduced the pathogenic bacteria, unknown to them.  So if you were wounded and in a Southern hospital, you stood a better chance of survival than up North.

My family wasn't here yet, and being from Michigan, it's something that "happened somewhere else".  We weren't taught much about the Civil War in school, but my husband and I will make sure our children know about it and ALL the reason why our country went to war.

We weren't here yet either. My ancestors arrived about 20 years after the Civil War. I am old enough though that they still taught American History in school. What my kids learned in school was a watered down version with more emphasis on 20th century history.  It's sad what our children aren't learning :dance:

When my husband's grandparents moved from NJ to SC, one of the new friends Grandpop met asked him if he knew the difference between a Yankee and a damned Yankee.  He was told that a damned Yankee came down towing a U-Haul behind him.  :dance:

In 1962 we almost had another Civil War when a black student by the name of James Meredith attempted to seek admission to the Univ. of Mississippi.  Rioting broke out (thanks to Governor Ross Barnett) and Pres. Kennedy authorized the Nat'l Guard into the city to disperse the rioters. Kennedy threatened to pull all Federal Funds allocated to the state if Barnett did not comply with the Supreme Court order.

Why did someone "disrespect" my post?  It's the truth.  Hopefully, the disrespect was because this event happened, and not because I posted the event itself.